F36 mechanical steering adjustment

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Footeloose

F36 mechanical steering adjustment

Post by Footeloose »

Hi there everyone. I have a 1972 F36 which has some slack in the cables at the drum at the flybridge helm. I've looked at the steering system as much as i can see, but don't find anything for adjusting the slop out of it. I have seen similar systems, think on an early Chris Craft, that incorporated a turnbuckle which would adjust the cable & chain connection easily. Any of you Trojan experts able to fill me in on this system? I've looked in the Trojan manual on this, but that seems very vague. I did see the connection below the lower helm where the cable transitions to chain, which is where i expected to find some adjustment. Actually, as i get further into the boat, might be a great candidate for a hydraulic system. Thanks for any info you are able to share, Dave
Footeloose

Re: F36 mechanical steering adjustment

Post by Footeloose »

Well, hi there again. Today i searched thru the boat again, & i think I may have found the cable adjustment. Forward of the starboard engine, there is a drum/sprocket. It looks like the lower helm chain drive must have another sprocket forward of the engine room bulkhead, on the horizontal shaft going to the rear of the boat. The sprocket/ cable drum has only cable on it several wraps, as does the flybridge drum. The lower drum appears to have a bolt on the side where the loose end of the cable sticks out. I think if I loosen the bolt, pull the cable end tight, & retighten the bolt, f i will have taken up the slack at the bridge rotating drum. Next work session, I will get a better look at all this, preparing for the actual cable adjustment. As always, if anyone has any further info, please let me know. thanks, Dave
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Try contacting Bob at Beacon marine he may know. And yes it would be a good candidate for hydraulic steering. My 77 has it.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Footeloose

Post by Footeloose »

Good morning Prowlerfish, I'm surprised, I thought maybe you'd have my answer. Judging from the lack of response, apparently either not many Trojans are set up like mine, or nobody needs to adjust them. I built a bridge on a 36' Sea Voyager years back, but all i had to do there was tie the upper helm & lower together with chain, no cable involved. I will give Bob a call, but maybe i have it figured out. Did your boat come equipped with hydrauulic steering, or was it added? Thanks for responding anyway. Later, Dave
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dave, Mine came with it new. I believe 77/78 was the changeover year(s).
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Footeloose

Post by Footeloose »

Prowlerfish, was at boat today, & really gave the steering a thorough search. It's much like i thought, the lower helm is simply a sprocket with chain that goes to the main fore & aft shaft in the bilge. Aft of the forward engine room bulkhead, is a drum with cable wound on it. That same cable slides thru some aluminum guides in the side window post up to the bridge, thru some right angle units to the drum on the bridge steering shaft. The drum in the bilge has a bolt/clamp piece on it, that when loosened, probably would allow the cable to be tightened, thus removing the slack. Wahlah! The other part of the story is that a few years back, my wife & i partially scrapped a 32' Bayliner that had sunk. I made a deal to remove the flybridge so it could be shipped to the scrap yard. Along with payment of $$1000, I was allowed to take anything else we wanted. Well, I removed a complete Hynautic steering system, everything except the tubing! I have an old Trojan that would be perfect on!!! Nice project for next spring. Sorry this got a bit long, just thought I'd share the news. Thanks for your support & suggestions, Dave
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad you got it done, and that steering will be a good up grade.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels