distributor replacement M360

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: distributor replacement M360

Post by mikeandanne »

Here is another thing to check. It has been a very long time but just remembered the oil pressure switch. At the rear of the engine you should find a tap with the oil pressure sender and a pressure switch which as I remember acted in the ignition circuit, It acted to allow the start. Maybe someone has the schematic for this, my drawings are long gone.

Unfortunately I just flat out don't recall much more, the instructions from the pertronix should have been fairly comprehensive to get around the points issue.

Also check your harness connector plugs, with working around there they could have become damaged or loose.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I removed the ballast resistor and jumpered across both connectors to the ballast resistor at each end virtually connecting all four wires. I wanted to do this until I prove the thing works before I cut off the connectors and join all four wires and connect them.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Run direct 12volts to the coil+
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Ok I ran 12v from the ignition switch relay to the + on coil. I found TDC on the compression stroke for #1 cylinder. Installed the distributor. Hooked up the #1 wire to post of dist. cap where rotor is pointing and installed the wires in the correct clockwise firing order. She fires but only get a backfire out carburetor. I’ve checked in on the compression stroke several times, tried the flipping 180 of the distributor. I have unplugged the old ignition module and removed the ballast resistor all together.
Can’t get her to run. It was running fine before this install

Any help?

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

TADTOOMUCH wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:01 pm Ok I ran 12v from the ignition switch relay to the + on coil. I found TDC on the compression stroke for #1 cylinder. Installed the distributor. Hooked up the #1 wire to post of dist. cap where rotor is pointing and installed the wires in the correct clockwise firing order. She fires but only get a backfire out carburetor. I’ve checked in on the compression stroke several times, tried the flipping 180 of the distributor. I have unplugged the old ignition module and removed the ballast resistor all together.
Can’t get her to run. It was running fine before this install

Any help?
Ok, which engine is this ( what side ), firing orders are for standard 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, reverse is 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8 . A pop in the carb is a few things, no fuel or not enough to fire, the more likely is timing wrong. Set it like you have, the damper should show right on tdc, turn the engine back so about 10 degrees advanced about a 1/2 " then set the rotor to #1 and try with the correct firing order for your engine rotation, you may have to adjust the dizzy as you crank.
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I’m on starboard engine that rotates clockwise. Both distributors rotate clockwise on the 360’s as most of us already know.

Brooks

Post by Brooks »

My notes from my 318 conversion

PORT MOTOR STD / LH / CCW 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
STBD MOTOR REV / RH / CW 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8

Black wire = - COIL
Purple White wire = + COIL

The biggest thing was that #1 at the distributor wasn't where I predicted. I literally used a plug wire in #1 cap, to a grounded plug to fish around / see where it really fired - because it wasn't where I thought it would be. Then plugged in the cap by the above table, and then timed by feel, and then timing light. It's worth the effort - Saw almost 30° of total advance - which was great. Never had a ping since. Carb also needed adjustment. Very happy to eliminate the entire Chrysler pentamic(?) ignition, etc.

Good luck!
Brooks
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Finally figured out the correct firing order for starboard from reversing the port firing order. Then all was well and engine runs great until I saw water coming in from a crack in the muffler! When it rains it pours with a boat!

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad you got her running.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Engines running great! New muffler installed $360 in case anyone needs to know. Time for sea trial this weekend to see if this was all worth it. Anyone need two 12v coils for ballast resistor system? Anyone need 3 ballast resistors or ecu units and two prestolite distributors? I will make you a great deal.

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Sea trial with new coils, new distributors and new muffler went very well. First time I have been able to see 4000+ rpm’s. Never stalled once after coming into the harbor. It’s been a long battle finding the root cause of this problem.