Bottom paint

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

10meterman

Bottom paint

Post by 10meterman »

Good afternoon, All
I'm about to bring my 10 meter down the Potomac River to our new home in Southport NC. I have always pulled and painted my bottom, this year I was going to put a barrier coat on before paint since she will be in salt water and I'm not sure when I will pull her out again. I should, right?
Thanks Kieth
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Bottom paint

Post by prowlersfish »

To put a barrier coat on you need to remove all the bottom paint ( soda blast) Unless you have issues I would just paint it.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

We had an epoxy barrier coat and good paint done and we get 3 years between haul outs.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
Scott67

Post by Scott67 »

10meterman wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:56 am Good afternoon, All
I'm about to bring my 10 meter down the Potomac River to our new home in Southport NC. I have always pulled and painted my bottom, this year I was going to put a barrier coat on before paint since she will be in salt water and I'm not sure when I will pull her out again. I should, right?
Thanks Kieth
10meterman,
Please forgive me upfront, sometimes my brutal honesty comes across as condescending, but I don’t mean it to be. Unfortunately, your reasoning for wanting a barrier coat now is frivolous. Freshwater is more susceptible to permeate your fiberglass hull than salt water, it’s a scientific (or not) fact. The freshwater thing makes me smile when I see yachts advertised as ".... only used in fresh water" as if it were a big plus. Granted, the other reasons for a freshwater boat are difficult to argue.

Here’s something to consider, barrier coating does not dictate the meantime between haul outs, it is the quality of bottom paint and the amount of periodic maintenance you (or your diver) does that determines haul out periodicity and repainting. Personally, I need to see the bottom of my hull at least once a year or so, not only to evaluate how the paint is holding up, but to check on anodes, sea scoops and running gear. So, the folks that boast about how long in between haul outs they can get, aren’t getting it from the effectiveness of the barrier coat. Remember, the barrier coat is covered with bottom paint too.

Think of a barrier coat as a “belt and suspenders” approach to protecting your hull bottom. It’s not a bad thing, but often it’s done for the wrong reasons. As Prowlerfish mentioned above, unless you have underlying issues with your hull bottom, i.e. blistering, delaminating and thin areas of gelcoat, a barrier coat application is, in my opinion, a costly endeavor for not a lot of return. For example, it cost me north of $1800.00 just for blasting the years of old paint of my hull bottom recently. You would have to do this to put a barrier coat on, regardless.
I had to cross this decision too and after weighing the pros and cons, I decided to go without barrier coating and bought some good (albeit expensive) bottom-paint and I could not be happier with that decision.

If you have the coin to throw at it, I say go for it, but don’t expect it to be the end all of boat bottom maintenance. You would be better served in throwing the same money at some good quality bottom paint and a couple of haul-outs to get visuals of “how goes everything down there”. I would stick to your old methods, pulling and painting.

Best of luck with whatever you decide! We’re all here to help and provide our opinions and experiences.
"Speakeasy"
1988 Intl 10 Meter Mid-Cabin Exp
Model 340
Twin 454 (350hp) Crusaders
1.5:1 Gearboxes
Jacksonville, FL
10meterman

Post by 10meterman »

Thanks for the input,,, I have pulled her out every year since I bought her in 2012 blasted and repainted no hull issues .
most the divers I have talked to had pretty much the same comments it's to help a damaged hull which I don't have. Use good paint!!
They also informed me the more I use it the less need for them to clean and scrap the bottom. It doesn't sit very long either.
Thanks again