Garmin AP install on mid cabin or Hynautic in general?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Garmin AP install on mid cabin or Hynautic in general?

Post by BobCT »

I started my AP install last year and have everything mounted and the electrical done. Now I need to do all the hydraulic connections and tackling that now while the boat is on the hard.

Has anyone done this on a mid cabin? Or, with Hhynautic steering in general? My first question is on the return line. Is there any reason to make that connection up at the helm or can I just do that at the Hynautic return which is only a couple of feet from where I mounted the pump.

thanks
Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Garmin AP install on mid cabin or Hynautic in general?

Post by El L Sea »

On our 12m Sedan, we are entirely Garmin, except for the autopilot (still interfaces) since Garmin did not make a pump or control big enough for the boat. We use Simrad for the pump, controller, and autopilot. Garmin can still feed/transfer information via the NMEA 2000 bus.
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

Bob

I have a Robertson auto pilot that was on the boat when we bought it
Also, Hynautic steering
I don't know if it would help or not but I would be happy to look at my installation
and report back
Just need to know what to look for

rr
10 meter mid cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I did a Raymarine install in 2003 with the 3 line Hynautic system

All the hydraulics were local from the pump to the actuator.

Switched to a two line Teleflex system in 2006, all the AP stuff stayed intact.

Dont know how this would apply to the Garmin

BEST !

H
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Thanks guys, here’s what I am dealing with. A couple of questions, I’ll give Seastar a call tomorrow as well:

1) does the AP care “where” I make connections? On the return line, I thought I could replace the fitting on the Reservalve with a T but there’s not enough room. I think I’ll need to install an inline compression T in the copper line. 1/4” OD.

2) Are the fittings on the steering ram “JIT”? They look like SAE 45 but from everything I’ve read, both fittings do look similar

3) asking question number two because the easiest solution would be replacing the fittings on the steering ram with a T if that’s a viable option and I can find the right size. That would handle my four primary hose connections.

DAF2FD31-E259-4D50-8A9F-3A8A2922DD37.jpeg
DAF2FD31-E259-4D50-8A9F-3A8A2922DD37.jpeg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
1988 10m mid cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

For future searches, I wound up removing the Hynautic Reservalve and upgrading the helm pump (I have both old ones for sale). With the pressurized Hynautic system, there is some question with Garmin as they specify running at a lower pressure (10 PSI max). Seastar thinks this is a bad idea and even though it worked fine on the hard, there's no load on the rudders. I have the Garmin 1.2 pump but I believe this is a non issue with the upgraded Smartpump.

As far as the hydraulic connections, I ran a new return line up to the helm. I couldn't find a compression fitting for the 1/4" copper. The port/starboard copper lines are 3/8" so I left those and used Seastar 3/8" compression "tube nuts" which easily connect the copper to flex hydraulic hose (with 3/8" threaded connecter in between).

I've gone as far as I can with the boat on the hard and will finish up once I can test in the water.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin