1975 F32 Leaks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jckno2023

1975 F32 Leaks

Post by jckno2023 »

Hello,

I know this topic has been addressed throughout the Forum, but I would like to maybe put together a specific "action plan" for the leaks I am experiencing in many areas of my F32's cabin.

I am having water issues in the following areas
1.) pooling on the dash in front of the lower helm station
2.) water streaming in from the wire openings and switches above the helm station
3.) running down the right side of the station, down the fuse panel and pooling in that corner of the salon
4.) running down the galley's port-side cupboards and pooling on the counter to the right of the sink
5.) pooling on the dinette table

I originally pointed towards the windshield/salon windows as the culprits, but the more and more I read, it seems the flybridge may be the main area of water leaks. I am planning on sealing the bridge as much as possible, but where should I focus? Rain gutters? Bridge seam? Railing stanchions? Also, is the bridge hardware attached using nut/bolts or screws into the glass/core?

I have butyl tape, 4200/5200, Captain Tolley's ,etc... which products for which areas?

I know a long post, but I am really looking forward to all of your guidance and experience to help me with these leaks.

Thank you!!

Jeff
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1975 F32 Leaks

Post by prowlersfish »

All the areas you brought up are common areas for leaks, Offen hard tp trace. Windshield leaks many times can be seen others you can't see the source. The rain gutters are a common problem. Owners have removed them to reseal and some even f-glass the seam. Some even leave the gutters off or replace with plastic gutters. I have seen screws come loose holding the bridge and the console, consider resealing them. Around the flybridge, there are drains to leat water out. They are just little openings where the bridges mounts and the easy clog up. don't use 5200 or 4200 anywhere you can see it. they turn yellow. 4000 or other UV stable products will work better. One last thing look at the boot around the wire chase (right side of the bridge.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jckno2023

Post by jckno2023 »

Thank you very much for the response! I am trying to learn as much as possible, as I am a first-time boat owner and do not have the experience to lean on. First, I am going to focus on the rain gutters and bridge seam. The amount of water getting into the cabin makes me feel those are the areas, which would allow this much to get inside. After that I am going to go through the rest of the areas discussed to hopefully eliminate one-by-one. I just want to make sure I am using my time wisely and re-bedding, etc in the correct manner.

Any other input you can provide would be awesome!

Jef
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

jckno2023 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:55 pm I am a first-time boat owner and do not have the experience to lean on.
I recommend u run right out and treat yourself to the current edition of Nigel Calders Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual.

Second best resource is the search feature of this forum. Enjoy ur new boat!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
jckno2023

Post by jckno2023 »

Thank you, P-Dogg! I will look into this book and, yes, this forum is a great resource!!

Jeff