Drip Less Packing

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Ron

Drip Less Packing

Post by Ron »

I have a 1984 F32 with 270's in it. I have been researching Drip Less Packing and I'm looking for comments pros and cons from anyone who has used it or thinking about it.
Thanks
Ron
Ron
Paul
Active User

Shaft Seal

Post by Paul »

I replaced the stuffing box in my F-26 with a LasDrop shaft seal 4 years ago
and have had a dry bilge since. I have not had to perform any type of service on it either.

I would highly recomend this type of seal.

Hope this helps
Paul
Cruise Control
dsalomon

Post by dsalomon »

I have just purchased 1986 - 10 meter express and it has dripless packings. Interestingly enough the boat was not used much last season and the starboard shaft is dripping. The surveyor suggested replacing it and suggested that if done an extra packing or two should be placed on the shaft along with the replacement and the extra ones should be taped to the shaft, there by eliminating the need to pull the shaft if the packing needs replacing again in the future. A very knowledgeable friend of mine told me that sometimes the packing will leak a bit if the boat is not used and will reseal itself with a little bit of use. I have no first hand knowledge if either of these suggestions or comments are correct or a good idea but thought I would pass it on FYI