SALON WINDOW REPLACEMENT 1976 f-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

SALON WINDOW REPLACEMENT 1976 f-32

Post by aaronbocknek »

okay, i know it was a stupid mistake, but, today i spider webbed one of my salon sliders. please tell me i am not the only one to break a trojan salon window. if i am, then i feel really stupid. anyway, i was wondering if any of you out there have had to replace cabin/salon windows and if so, how did you go about it? i called 3 window repair places in the baltimore area this morning and they flat out refused to do it. my next course of action is to talk to one or two of the boat yards around my area and see if they can do this, hopefully this week. i'm open to suggestions. please, just don't laugh at me. i already feel lower than low.
aaron
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

I happen to have one (cracked) that needs replacing also. On my list of winter projects for sure.
obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

Ha- that's nothing.

I bought my boat with a broken slider, replaced it, and broke the same window again the first season I had the boat.

They pop in and out like any other sliding window or door. My boat had wedges tucked in under the bottom window track to tighten everything up, but that extra step to only minutes.

I used bronze tempered glass which was a little pricey- I think it was around $150 or $175.

'Course the glass shop knew it was for a boat...
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

salon window broken......port side midships section

Post by aaronbocknek »

i forgot to mention that it was not the sliding door window or the one on either side. this is one of the side slider windows on the port side of the salon just aft of the fwd angled window.... the one that is burried in an ''H" channel. calling a boat yard this morning to see if they can come out and take a look at it.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Aaron, I have replaced all the sliding glass in my F32 before. Easy.

Keep in mind and verify with a glass shop about temperment of the glass. From what I found out, tinted glass is not as strong as clear glass.

Replacing 3 window sliders two years ago cost me 163.00. Tape up the broken glass to keep it together and take it to the glass shop, so they can make a duplicate. Good luck.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Aaron ... good morning ....how'd you make out with your glass issue?
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

window issue

Post by aaronbocknek »

still working on that issue. i am putting in a call to mr. weaver at weavers marine service today. ill keep you guys posted. did you read my latest post about the sea cocks? i talked with w/ edwards boat yard yesterday and bill bissell jr said that they can tow her over in march, haul her, put in new sea cocks and then relaunch her. hell, while she is out of the water, i might as well have the bottom painted. i would rather edwards take care of it than take it to intercoastal marine again. it might be more expensive at first, but, since edwards is a refit yard, i tend to think they will do a more complete job. bill said that he wanted the boat for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks out of the water to let the epoxy set properly. that is NOT the answer i got from intercoastal. they said it would ''be just a 4 hour job''..... hmmmmm what do you think?
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

Don't hesitate to ask Edwards to refer you to other customers they've done bottom work for & find out from them how satisfied they were with the work Edwards' did for them. Talking with other boaters may also help. When talking about wanting to redo my bottom, a dockmate told me to talk to her dad, who just hade his bottom redone. Found in talking to him that he found a real good shop that did a great job for him. I contacted the shop & have made arrangements to do my bottom in the spring.
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

Aaron,

If you can get the glass out, then take it to B&T Hardware. Turkey Point & Back River Neck Road. He is about the cheapest around. He will need the glass to get the right tint (color.) Someone replaced the front cabin window glass, on my F-31Trojan, and it is a different tint. BTW Richard and Bobby Edwards sold the boat yard, to the current owners, a few years back. Edwards built some great bay boats, back when, and there are still some of these boats around.

John
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

mtwolf ..... thanks for the B & T heads up. They're right up the road from me and I didn't think to try them out for replacement glass. Thanks
trepka2001

glass

Post by trepka2001 »

anyone ever had to replace the large slider door glass?? mine are cracked and was wondering if anyone knew how to take them out?
rossjo
Ultimate User

Me too

Post by rossjo »

I have the same port window cracked - how do you remove them?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

broken window..

Post by aaronbocknek »

you mean i am not the only one that's done this? that makes me feel better, but i still cant figure out how in blazes to get the damm thing back in once i get the replacement..... if i can, i would rather do it myself, but am afraid that i would screw it up. will the b&t do an install?
rossjo
Ultimate User

Previous Posts

Post by rossjo »

Did a search and found some old posts that describe how to take the side Solon windows out of the F32 and F36 ...

It seems that you need to move each window fore or aft all the way, slide the plastic track out from the top and bottom and slide the window back into place, where it will now have enough room to be "wiggled" out.

Is this the proper method?

My forward side salon windows don't slide, so I'm not sure how this will work ... I need to replace the port forward sliding salon window.

Marine Tech has new tracks - and they should be replaced?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

salon windows...

Post by aaronbocknek »

i think those of us suffering from the window problem should get together and do a window replacement weekend. there is safety in numbers i think. any one up to it in the middle river area of baltimore?