1978 F 32 aft deck repair

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mrsluggo

1978 F 32 aft deck repair

Post by Mrsluggo »

looking for ideas on how to repair soft spots on the aft deck of my F32 The deck is already out of the boat and in my shop waiting for ideas on how to make the repair .
just for fun
Rich Schwochow

Post by Rich Schwochow »

Hello, I too have a 78 F-32 and have repaired the back deck area.
I removed the top skin with a Dremmel tool using a 1/8" carbide reamer.
Then removed all of the bad core mat. I ordered the replacement core from Defender. I made up a batch of West System Epoxy as per their instructions and laid the new coring into place. After the bottom cured, I repeated the process on the top and laid in the top skin being sure to completely compress every inch of top skin. I then mixed up some a batch of West System filler with white pigment and filled the 1/8" cut. It turned out better than I expected, and is holding up as good as new. That was 7 years ago. Hope this helps, let me know if you need any more details. Rich
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: 1978 F 32 aft deck repair

Post by ready123 »

Mrsluggo wrote:looking for ideas on how to repair soft spots on the aft deck of my F32 The deck is already out of the boat and in my shop waiting for ideas on how to make the repair .
As you removed it, am I right to conclude that you are talking about the access hatch?
If so what was done to mine was to cut the glass away on the underside and replace the core then use new glass to seal it.
Here is a picture of the core removal..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32233258@N ... 792002787/
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

core replacement

Post by aaronbocknek »

i have been a member of this forum for a few months now and i see that trojans constantly experience core rot problems. is a trojan the only make that experienced this? how did this shoddy workmanship happen, and are there any other 'breeds' of boats out there that have core rot problems. it just looks as if trojan had more than any other make. and finally, when did the core rot problems not become an issue... in other words, which model year? if, for example, i want to sell my 1976 f-32 and get an f-32 made in the 1980's, will i run into a core rot problem?
aaron
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Many boats have this problem . its not shoddy workmanship Its owners that let water get into the core by not keeping holes / fittings sealed thru the core . and some times poor work man ship by repair yards . I said before . CAULK CAULK CHAULK !!! SEAL SEAL SEAL !!!.
Last edited by prowlersfish on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

As prowlersfish said core damage can happen to any boat. I have had three
Trojan's in my life time and the only one that has had core problems is my current boat. Below is a good link that happens to have a paragraph about
core rot in Trojans.

http://trojanownersclub.com/reports/tro ... torial.pdf
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International