Cabin top replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Woodman

Cabin top replacement

Post by Woodman »

Has anyone had experience in replacing the cloth/vinyl (?) material on the cabin top? What is it and where can I find it?
I just acquired a 1973 25ft Sea Raider that needs the cabin top replaced/redone.
Thanks for any help I can get!!
g36
Moderate User

headliner

Post by g36 »

if its like whats in my 78 f32 its . white perforated material like this
http://www.sailrite.com/Headliner-Perfo ... ategory=37
if the above doesnt work go to sailrite.com and search headliner material and youll see other choices as well. they also sell any type of marine fabric and are very nice to talk with if you have any questions at all about boat projects with fabric. i've bought things from them and have always been happy with the purchase.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Best match and price I could find for my F32 was here:
http://www.a1foamandfabrics.com/site/pr ... F16DD468A5

It is the Nautolex product which I believe is the same as at Sailrite from looking at the picture.

Google Nautolex and you will have many suppliers to choose from. Watch what they want to charge you for shipping... I saved money by arranging freight pickup myself.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Thanks for the replies, however I was referring to the exterior of the cabin top (I should have been clearer). The wood is covered with some type of vinyl material.
I'm familiar with Sailrite and they be a good source for the material.
I just wonder how difficult it will be to replace. Could I just remove the old material, seal and paint the wood with a good topside paint??
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Cabin Topping

Post by jon_e_quest »

The product you may be searching for was once known as 'Cabin Topping'. Most sell it as 'Vinyl Boat Topping' now. Google either. There are several brands and colors. Good luck!
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Woodman , Paint won't seal it very well . I had a Owens that I remove the canvas and the glue as well as I could then I sealed it with Gulvet then painted it .

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE ... d%20in.htm

Even better would be to fiberglass it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Thanks guys,
Not sure if I'll replace the vinyl or go with one of the other options.
I'll keep you posted. Maybe some pics??
Thanks again.
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

My 1969 31 Trojan had a cavas cabin top that I recanvased. I did it about 25 years ago, but remember that it was a bit of work. Once the canvas is removed, any bad wood in the roof MUST be replaced. (When the new canvas is installed, any inprofection in the wood shows through) I used fairing material to cover the seams in the plywood and sanded them until the joint was smooth. (Fiberglass Bondo would work well, it doesn't absorb water.) The old adhesive on the roof will also need to be sanded. (Not an easy job since it clogs the sandpaper quickly. A solvent can be used, but extreme care must be used. Solvents are framable.)

(This is a 2 man job) The canvas is actualy a vinyl, but I refer to it as canvas. The canvas is glued to the cabin top with Nautilex adhesive. ( Don't apply too much adhesive it will puddle and show through the canvas. I drew a line marking exactly where the edge of the canvas would follow. (It took 3 strips to cover the cabin top of my boat. Center section was done last.) I applied the adhesive with a 1/16" notched trowl. I applied the adhisive to both the cabin top and the canvas, making sure the adhesive was spread right to the line on the hardtop. I then placed the canvas in place and rubbed the entie surface. Now remove the canvas and allow the adhesive to dry a bit. (Just a few minutes) Put the canvas back in place and make sure the edge follows the line exactly and staple the canvasalong the line. Once the edge is stapled, you can lift and pull the canvas while the canvas is rubbed into place. Work all the wrinkles out. (Don't try over streching the canvas.) Staple the edges. (Use Monel staples, they don't rust)

On my 31 Trojan the windshield rested on the canvas, and the cabin hard top extended into the cockpit forming, for a lack for a better word, a dashboard. I did not replace that area. I used a razor knife and cut the canvas at the windshield. I screwed a trim board set in boatlife caulk to cover the joint. I also covered the seam with a stainless steel rub rail set in boatlife caulk.

Latter, when the canvas wore out I glassed it and sprayed it with Emron. The final solution.

West Marine sells cabin topping, page 780 of 2008 catalog. Shop you can beat there price.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
Woodman

Post by Woodman »

Thanks Gerry!
Good to hear from someone who has been through the process. My thinking now is to skip right to the glassing. It sounds like the better way to go.
Thanks again for all the input, from everyone.
Now the hard part begins, the work! We got to luv em, don't we??

Jerry