Need Diesel Advice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kwkw25

Need Diesel Advice

Post by kwkw25 »

I am currently looking to purchase a 1989 Trojan 12 Meter 40ft I . I have a few years of boating under my belt, I need help with the DD 671 tubo engines.

Pros and Cons of having these in a boat, are they costly to repair, maintence, Cost to winterize them. I need to know whatever you guys can tell about me about them.

I appeciate what ever you guys can tell me
mariogts

DD 671s

Post by mariogts »

I'd be very careful. Just bought a 1990 12m from Florida and it ran fine at 1300hrs. I'm now $20,000 into cylinder wall overhauls etc due to water intrusion from somewhere{ turbos above the shaft logs?] You're the first on our site to be made aware of this so I don't know if others have gone thru the same pain. GET AN ENGINE SURVEY NO MATTER WHAT !!!
1990 12meter Express
kwkw25

Post by kwkw25 »

Hey thanks for the insight. I will be sure to get an engine survey. These DD were just rebuilt apparently, 10 hrs on the DD 671. So will see how the survey goes, getting it done in a few weeks. I appreciate your reply.

How do you like your 12 meter, anything I should know about them. ,
rossjo
Ultimate User

boatdiesel.com is a good source

Post by rossjo »

for getting info on the DD 671s. I ave Cummins 6BTAs and love them.

2 friends of mine have had problems with their DDs (40 Hatteras & 42 Bertram) - but I'm not clsoe enough to their issues to comment ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

if your still looking I have a frend getting ready to sell a 1989 12 meter with 671s nice boat real clean in hampton Va email me if you need info
Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kwkw25

Post by kwkw25 »

No Sorry I just purchased an 89 12 meter. J andT 671.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You Just got a fine boat. If I had the money I would buy My frends boat but I dont have the money.( the only resone he is selling it is he moved up to a 48 ocean ) so I will be cruseing in my tiny F36 for a while (I realy love it ) with 300 hp cummins . good luck with your new boat . I would join boatdiesel.com
I think you have post there?

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

We have two DD 671 TI in our 11 meter express. We had them majored and they are great engines. I would get a oil sample and have a mechanic check the engines. He can look at the cylinder walls and see if they are rusted. We knew the condition of the boat engines when we bought the boat.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
Capt Hiliner

Re: Need Diesel Advice

Post by Capt Hiliner »

kwkw25 wrote:I am currently looking to purchase a 1989 Trojan 12 Meter 40ft I . I have a few years of boating under my belt, I need help with the DD 671 tubo engines.

Pros and Cons of having these in a boat, are they costly to repair, maintence, Cost to winterize them. I need to know whatever you guys can tell about me about them.

I appeciate what ever you guys can tell me
I have a 40' 1982 trojan tri cabin with twin 671s total hours are just over 2000. Mine are naturally aspired and rated at 230 hp. These are old fathful, push the button and they go! At 1600 rpm consumption is bearable at 55 Liters per hour total at 9.5 knots. They will run all day over that but the consumption goes up faster than the speed. Great boat!!

Capt HIliner