F32 prop selection

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dean Jodry

F32 prop selection

Post by Dean Jodry »

What have been the preferred prop of choice with 270 hp Crusaders in a F32? I presently have 16 x 16 cupped nibrals.
Frank

F32 Prop Choice

Post by Frank »

The 1986 F32 that I own with 270hp Crusaders and a 1987 model I know of both have 3 blade 16" nibrals. I've also talked to other owners and they have the same prop on their 270's. I always had max. RPM"s and efficancy with them. Eveything be equal I cruised at 3000rpm and maxed out at 4200. They worked great then.

Last year I had my boat repowered with new EFI 330hp Crusader's and I wanted to make sure the prop's matched the new power and torque, I checked with three prop manif. and four prop reconditioner's and there computer models showed that the same 16x16 prop with an additional 1" pitch would handle the new motors MAXING rpm's at 4500 with the motor's MAX rpm's at 5000. They work great now.

Make sure you get your prop's recondtioned if you haven't recently, you'll see a difference in performance once you do.

I hope this answered you're question.

Frank
jav
Moderate User

New Props

Post by jav »

I was running 16x16 last year and this year I'm trying a set of 17x14 NIbral cupped. I'm running twin 200 hp diesels w/ 1.5 gears
clarion

Finding props

Post by clarion »

Hey folks,
I wonder if you guys have any way to find out what my "stock" props would have been for a 1983 34' trojan Sport fisher, twin gas v-8's I think they are 350's? My mother bought the boat from a "prop man" and we think he put "fuel efficient" props on to replace the stock ones so he could putt around and save gas.

The problem is that, we have this nice boat with two motors that run pretty good and at 3000 rpm it BARELY gets on step with most of the misc weight items removed. We spoke with the owner before this last one and he swears that the boat did over 24knots easy.

My poor mom has now spent about $600 hauling it out and cleaning the bottom plus, around $1600 on some tranny work to replace clutch packs and such. of course those expendatures did not result in the proper speed yet. In fact, no obvious improvement at all.

Anyhow, I know its a good boat and we don't need it to blister across the water but, 12knots maxed out, is unacceptable.

Any resources for looking up stock specs and parts? I want to know the demension and pitch of the prop that came on that boat from the factory.

Sorry, so long winded.
“Control your destiny, or someone else will.” (Speaker unknown)
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Clarion,

Are you sure your boat is a trojan 34?? Is it perhaps a 10 meter or an F-32 or F-36? I'm not fmailiar with a 34 sport fisher. whatever it is, if you post the boats water line length, beam, loaded weight, engine HP, tranny gear ratio and engine maximum RPM (what it should be, not what it is), I'd be happy to run the numbers on a prop calculator to see what the predictions are.
clarion

prop search

Post by clarion »

Thanks Jav.

My mom is sure that it is an F36 now (I'm not) The motors are OMC350 V-8's with velvet drives of 1.51 (I think). Max rpm on the motors is suposed to be 4300 but, they haven't been able to put out more than 3200 since she owned it. I am guessing the V-8's at 225hp because that is the usual for the mid 80's 350 when I search. Of course they are delivering way less on every aspect because they are a very tierd set. Boat legnth is 36 and 38 overral according to mom. Weight? how would I calculate that? I can't use stock numbers because the tanks have all been upgraded to a larger size and the OMC's are not stock. She does not have too much "junk" and furniture on the boat so besides those changes, it should be just over stock weight including a stock 6.5kw genset.

In all the pictures I've seen on this sight, the boat looks identicle to the f32's which also look just like the f36's but, I have no point of referrence for size in a picture.

I'm also not sure of a water line length. sorry to be so vague but, the boat is 850 miles away from me so I can't run down to the dock and check, ha.

I can get her to do some of that but, I would still need to know how to calculate wieght, for example.

Thanks for any help.
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Clarion,

I think one of the esiest ways to tell an F-32 and an F-36 apart is the foredeck. The F-36 has a 1 level foredeck while the F-32 has a step in it (making it a 2 level foredeck). The step is some 6-8 inches high and is forward of the 2 hatches near the windshield but before the hatch in the V berth. If you can tell me which model it is, I can tell give you some approximate weights.

Also, 350cid engines were rated 230-270HP in the eighties... even tired, they should produce much more tha 12 knots at cruise even in a heavy F-36.
clarion

Post by clarion »

Jav,

Thanks for that. It deffinately has a little "step" on the bow deck so that is an F32? My mom will argue that one with me for days, he he. She will go get a tape measure to prove me wrong.

O.K. so after wieght what do you need? if we under estimate the hp won't that just result in the engine working less to turn the prop and not hurt the performance too much?

We are thinking that it may be a combo of prop and tranny now because the motors can't get above 3000 rpm w/the hammer down (maybe too much pitch on the props) and she just had a new clutch pack installed on the starboard which resulted in a 16 knot top speed at 2800rpm.

Problem is that she lives in the bush in S.E. Alaska and any mechanic is hard to come by, let alone a "good" one. Sooooo the brand new clutch pack spun out after one hour of run time. the "mechanic" insisted on puting 40W oil in the velvet drive tranny when he was done and we think it is toast (Sucks not to know your machine well yet, huh?).

The silver lining to that cloud is that a new set of clutch packs did actually seem to make a differrence. it is still 8 mph off what we think it should be but, it was definately better than before.

So back to props, we are now thinking that a repitch may yeild better results. what do we need to calculate? we have weight, length, rpm, ratio and HP (i'm going to guess that the weight is 800lbs over stock numbers for fuel and extra engine weight. the genset is probably another 300lbs but, it was original optional equipment.)

Thanks again

p.s. I saw a beautiful volvo deisil repower on one of the f32's on this sight. any idea what that costs? I think they were 270hp striaght 6's.
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Clarion,

the F-32 has a dry weight of between 12000-12800 pounds. I've heard differing stories including that this weight was for the base model 321 sedan, which did not include the optional flybridge. My boat is also an F-32 with twin Volvo diesels (200 hp each) and there is another one with twin 230 hp Volvo diesels (I think) so I don't know which one you saw. The cost to repower diesels is pretty substantial. If you do it yourself, you are real frugal but do it right (evaluate and upgrade every support system) you can do it for 20-30k using good running takeout diesels (this is what I did). If you pay someone to do a brand new diesel conversion, this will cost you upwards of 50-60 grand.

Back to your propping issue. I used 16000 pounds for all my calculations and a conservative 220 HP X 2. Your boat should top out at about 25 knots with 16x15 3-blade props with medium cup. When I first got my boat it, it had twin 225hp chryslers and would not go past 2800 RPM and 14 knots. I had a bunch of problems that included, fouled running gear, dirty bottom, and numerous engine issues such as stuck distributer advance mechanisms and carb issues. Once all that was solved, the boat performed as it should (16-17 knot cruise 24-25 knot top end)