My Steering quit!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

webtrippin

My Steering quit!

Post by webtrippin »

I have a 1976 32 Express S/F - Backing out of my slip - turned the steering wheel and heard a funny noise - like a cable breaking or snapping. Steering gone! I have hydraulic steering with an accumulator that must stay pressurized to 10-15 psi. It still had 15psi when I checked the pressure guage.

Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?
f36f36

Post by f36f36 »

I believe you may have broken something in the pump mechanism which is what the steering wheel is attached to.........It has a system of plates & balls which rotate & move the fuild from side to side......these pumps can be rebuilt if you are attentive to how it comes apart.....very attentive, I ve seen the pros put back together wrong, but still can be reassembled again......Look for the brand name & website I guess, bet you will find help there.......I rebuilt mine cause a seal stareted leaking, beern fixed for a couple of years now..............
webtrippin

Steering

Post by webtrippin »

Thanks for the info. I kinda figured it would be in that area. I haven't had a chance to trace the problem but feel you are correct. I wondered if I over pressurized the accumulator. I keep thinking the pressure should be closer to 8psi than the 15 I pumped in.
Trojanboats.net

We most likly have the part in stock

Post by Trojanboats.net »

beacon marine supply
1215 547 8853