1977 Trojan F-26: need swim platform, upholstery, bench

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jetsetmodern

1977 Trojan F-26: need swim platform, upholstery, bench

Post by jetsetmodern »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone will be interested in helping me. Last summer, I purchased a 1977 Trojan F-26 Express hardtop and had a wonderful time. I had trouble with the engine stalling several times throughout the summer, but changing the fuel filter seemed to help a lot, and a mechanic will be looking over it carefully in the next few weeks. We're checking the fuel tank and lines, and carbeurator, and will give it a tuneup before putting it back into the water in April. Boating is so much fun, I look forward to a great season and hope for no problems.

My boat does not have a swim platform but I want to add one across the back, preferrably teak. Can anyone advise me on where to get one (used is fine, as I prefer parts as original as possible), and how to install it? I don't recall seeing any brackets on the transom. If a used one is too hard to find, I'd choose a new one but I haven't even been able to find a new one yet. I want it to be as wide as possible, with a ladder into the boat.

The interior of my boat is in perfect condition, but the plaid fabric inside the cabin does not appeal to me. I am looking for suggestions on redoing the cushions in all white or all navy blue. Does anyone know about marine grade fabrics, or should I use vinyl?

Across the back of the deck at the rear of the boat, I'd like to have a long bench installed. Movable chairs just don't work for me (they're always in the way, it seems). Has anyone here had one custom made to fit that space well? Is that a big deal? Is there a portable sofa available in white vinyl that would work well there?

I have some photos if anyone has interest in seeing, let me know.

thanks,
Joe
Chicago, IL
Joe Kunkel
1977 Trojan F-26 Express Hardtop
JimG

Post by JimG »

Hi Joe! I bought a full width teak platform on ebay, complete with brackets. It was around $200. It was an all-day affair to attach it, but not too hard. I cut the railing, and installed "L's", to make it easier for my wife to climb over the transom onto the platform. I also installed a stainless folding ladder.

We recently had the interior cushions recovered at a local shop. I used cloth on top and vinyl on bottom.

I use a big igloo ice chest across my transom, with a cushion top. Works well, and is easily removed.

Now that I have your email address, I'll send you some pics of my boat.

JimG
1970 Donzi 18 2+3, 1993 Stryker 3800 Thunder
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. How wide was the teak swim platform and was it new or used? I've been searching on ebay but there haven't been any offered. Maybe when springtime comes more will be on the market?

I need advice on how to attach a swim platform, screws, adhesives, etc. Is it risky that when I attach it water could come in? I want it done correctly and so that it's easy to get in/out of the boat. I'd be willing to hire someone in the Chicago area to come install it correctly, so if anyone has a recommendation, I'd like to hear. My boat is in storage at Goose Island boatyard in Chicago and it could be installed there easily prior to putting the boat in the water.

Thanks, Joe
Joe Kunkel
JimG

Post by JimG »

I really lucked out my platform, it appears to be the exact right size with no trimming. I goes all the way to the edges of the stern. But I was prepared to either cut a platform that was too large, or live with one that didn't span the entire length. Attaching the platform was simple, but it's a 3 or 4 man job for sure. I collected as many pics of 26's with platforms as I could find, studied them, then carefully positioned the brackets and marked. Drilled the holes, and using high quality SS fasteners with BIG fender washers on the inside (and plenty of 5200), I tightened it down. No leaks at all.

Jim
1970 Donzi 18 2+3, 1993 Stryker 3800 Thunder
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

I'd love to see some detailed photos. If you are willing and able to help me find an appropriate swim platform, I'd be grateful. I hope to find one on a junker parts boat, or online, but I am not lucky in my search so far. Thanks.
Joe Kunkel
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Here is just some info that I found for you...

http://www.woodworkingforwatercraft.com/platform.html

Also, here are some pictures of my boat. The swim platform was already on it when I bought it but it's similar to the ones found on the above website.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/3114542518.jpg&s=x2
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/3114550614.jpg&s=x2

I have more detailed pictures of how it's mounted to the transum but haven't downloaded the pictures yet from my camera. Maybe I'll post more tomorrow.

As for the cushions, they are all vinyl, except at the zippers. We really like it and they are easy to keep clean. When we sleep in the v-berth, we use one of those foam matress toppers cut to fit from Walmart over the cushions, it's pretty confortable. Here's a picture of the vberth cushions...

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/3211523369.jpg&s=x2

Hope this helps.

Ken
1972 Trojan F25 Hardtop Express
Chrysler 318 FWC Paragon Trans. V-Drive
Norfolk, VA
Trojanboats.net

WE HAVE SEVERAL TEAK PLATFORMS FOR F 26

Post by Trojanboats.net »

GIVE US A CALL BEACON MARINE SUPPLY
1215 547 8853
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

Thanks for the photos of your boat and swim platform. I'm eager to see the photos of how it attaches to the boat. Can you tell me how high off the water the platform should be, and how far down from the top edge of the fiberglass edge railing? My boat seems to be a little different since it's a 1977 model F-26. I'm trying to plan how much space I have to allow for the new swim platform, and how big to make the new letters for the name of my boat across the back.
Joe Kunkel
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Platform Pictures

Post by vabeach1234 »

Sorry Jetsetmodern for the long delay.

Here are the pictures I promised. The platform is attached using stainless steel 'U' shaped brackets. They are screwed into the transom. It doesn't look like there is backer plate on the other side of the transom though. That's probably something I'll add down the road for a little more rigidity. But the platform is solid now and we really enjoy having it back there.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/4006095034.jpg&s=x7

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/4006093046.jpg&s=x7

Ken
1972 Trojan F25 Hardtop Express
Chrysler 318 FWC Paragon Trans. V-Drive
Norfolk, VA
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

Thanks for the photos. If anyone finds a used teak swim platform, please let me know, then I'll work on installing it. I will seek someone in Chicago to help me or I'll hire them to do it for me, as I want this done well and can't risk creating a leak, of course! Thanks.
Joe Kunkel
sixbennetts

Post by sixbennetts »

Hey Joe,

I want to appologize for not replying sooner. Been very busy. (I sent you an email, too).

Here's some pics, I hope they help. First is when we found our old boat

This pic shows the small white oak wedge under the side bracket.

A side view showing the supports. I made these out of mahogany. (Black bottom paint at the ends).

The rest are shots after all the stripping and refinishing is complete.

In the driveway before launch.

Hope I helped.

Donny

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

(Hi Bob, how ya been, buddy!?)
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

Thanks for the great photos. I'm inspired by how well your swim platform looks after it was restored. Quite a transformation!

I have located an old swim platform (needs refinishing) but I'm unsure about whether or not to purchase it because it is shorter than the width of my boat. If I install it, it will be about 12" short from each side of the boat. Can anyone comment if this size would be appropriate or not? I was thinking it should go all the way to the sides of the boat.

thanks,
Joe
Joe Kunkel
frank v.

Post by frank v. »

Here is what i have do whith my swimming platt form,one weekend and you made it yourself...

frank v.

Norway
jetsetmodern

Post by jetsetmodern »

Hi Frank,
Thanks for the photo of your great boat. What year and model is it? I'd love to have a boat like that with that type of platform, but your model is configured differently than mine so mine will never be able to accommodate a platform like that. However, if I ever get a bigger boat, I'd consider your model, so I'll look forward to finding out.
Joe Kunkel
frank v.

Post by frank v. »

jetsetmodern wrote:Hi Frank,
Thanks for the photo of your great boat. What year and model is it? I'd love to have a boat like that with that type of platform, but your model is configured differently than mine so mine will never be able to accommodate a platform like that. However, if I ever get a bigger boat, I'd consider your model, so I'll look forward to finding out.

Hello jetsetmodern..

My boat is also 1977 model,and i have been told that the boat is 27 foot,but after looking at the internet im think it is 26 ekspress..

frank v.