Building a model of SF36 ... Update It's Finished

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Building a model of SF36 ... Update It's Finished

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:Right above boot stripe. Over the years, they bust up, crack or owners may have removed due to maintenance...?

They are more of a pain then a help . If it was not for the holes they would leave mine would be gone . Still may happen . Make me a offer , they could be yours .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
albergman

Post by albergman »

Hi Rossjo

Here's the line drawings I used. They're not fancy because they're just photographs converted to Line Drawings using my photo edit program but they were good enough to get the major dimensions correct. Each of the four views is in the same scale so if you enlarge the page they'll all stay in proportion.

Hope they are of some use to you. Don't hesitate to ask if I can be of help.

Frank
Attachments
4 views to scale.jpg
4 views to scale.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Freaking AWESOME dude! Canada rules on the forum yet again!

I am glad you posted this point :
albergman wrote:PS I'll never do another one so don't ask!!
Otherwise I would have to sell my boat to pay you enough to do the same for my F32!!!

When I saw the albergman username I figured either you were Al Bergman, or one of those sailor dudes! Have a long time friend at my local marina who owns an Alberg as well (30 I think) and has a sign mounted to his dock box - many more words, but basic concept is "Alberg Parking Only". Do you know a fellow Alberg owner named Jan Grodzinski (or Janski as he is generally known)? Does VIVA II ring a bell?

In any event - awe-frickin-some job!
albergman

Post by albergman »

Hi Capt. Maniac

Glad you liked the model. I did consider making a mold of the major components so that I could later make castings. This is something I've done before so it makes it an easy task to replicate them in urethane. Maybe I should have!! But ... now that I'm done there's no way I'd go back to fabricating all that metalwork again.

Don't know the Alberg 30 you asked about. Any chance he was on Georgian Bay?

Frank
albergman

Re: Building a model of SF36 ... Update It's Finished ... now there's a movie!

Post by albergman »

Posted this a long time ago and it got a fair bit of interest. Anyway, I made a short YouTube video of it as a starter for my channel where I planned to post movies on all my models. Well, the movie's been up for a year and a half and only myself and the boat owner have ever found it!!

If anyone is interested in seeing a decent model of a beautiful SF 36 check it out https://www.youtube.com/user/franksmart1938.

Frank
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Frank , that is fantastic !! Thank You !!!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Wow. That is nice!
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

That is a great mantel piece. I would have one in my office so I could stare at it all day! Very nice reproduction.
Currently Trojan-less :?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Gotta ask what you used for materials? I am assuming the wood work is real wood, also guessing you stained some basic wood as appropriately as opposed to using teak, mahogany, etc separately. How did you form the hull, and what did you create the railings and fittings out of - they look spot on - especially the connections between stanchion bases and railings, and bridge ladder and railings, and the anchor even looks like it properly articulates!
albergman

Post by albergman »

captainmaniac wrote:Gotta ask what you used for materials? I am assuming the wood work is real wood, also guessing you stained some basic wood as appropriately as opposed to using teak, mahogany, etc separately. How did you form the hull, and what did you create the railings and fittings out of - they look spot on - especially the connections between stanchion bases and railings, and bridge ladder and railings, and the anchor even looks like it properly articulates!
Hey Cap'n

I discussed a lot of the build earlier but to answer your questions ...

The hull was screwed and glued together from a bunch of off-cuts from a deck that my neighbour was having built using that new "composite wood" decking.

I shaped it with heavy duty tools (angle grinder. plane) etc till I got it down to an approximate shape then fine tuned it with Bondo. Took a long time to get all the right lines and complex shapes ... stuff you don't pay attention to till you try to reproduce them.

All the mahogany you see (coaming, flooring, bridge) is real varnished mahogany ... NO staining.

The railings are stainless steel welding rod (from Princess Auto) and are actually what determined the size of the model. I had to find something suitable for all the railing I'd need before I even started and when I found this stuff that became the size of a 1" rail and the rest of the model followed suit.

The stanchion connections were all hacksawed, drilled, filed and polished out of an aluminum heat sink I got out of a computer. At first, I had thought I'd just solder the stanchions to the rail but the logistics of that soon ruled that idea out and I decided to make the fittings ... glad I did. Each one took about a half hour once I figured out a method.

I took up silver soldering to make fastenings on stainless. It's very strong and stays shiny. The bridge ladder was a major challenge what with all the pieces it has and all the solder joins. I built a 90 degree floor and wall jig that I used to fasten the main uprights to then gradually cut, fit and soldered in all the smaller pieces.

The anchor was actually made a long time ago for my own boat model ... a 37 foot sailboat. I went all out on it and, yes, it works properly!

Sorry, I can't remember how I got pictures on here before but there's some pics of the build on this modelling website
if you want to see some ... https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/t ... albergman/.

Frank