Repowering Trojan 36 Convertible

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

guzzoa

Repowering Trojan 36 Convertible

Post by guzzoa »

Hi Guys,

I am planing to repower my Trojan 36 convertible (74) with cummins 6 BTA engines (250 HP), anyone here did that? Any hint? and the 64000 question, how the performance will be compared with the Chrysler 440 engines.

Best Regards
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Guzzoa,

I did a 1974 F-32 with twn 200's and I know of an F-36 with twin 300's. I think twin 250's in an F-36 will work and may even cruise similar to the 440's but will likely have a lower top end. I would think that boat would be better with a little more power... i know mine would be.
jb100

Post by jb100 »

Guzzoa,

I re-powered my 36 Trojan Convertible last spring with twin Crusader 8.1 Gas engines (385 HP). I have had it up to 33 knots and still had some power left.

If I run about 21 -22 knots I burn about 20-21 GPH .

I had both engines installed brand new with 4 old gas tanks removed and 2 new ones installed for about $38,000. I looked at having diesel engines installed but the costs were almost double for decent engines…. I am not sure how 250 HP Diesels compare to even the Chryslers.. I would be afraid they still may be underpowered.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I am still in the planning stages too (1980 F-36 with 440's). The best source of info I've found is boatdiesel.com. They have calculators that will tell you what your boat will do with which engine, and forums on repower projects. Costs 25 bucks a year but well worth it. I e-mailed one gent in VA with 300 Cummins.....real good results with his repower. Said he had two friends with F-36's with 250 Cummins and they did well also.
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

jb100 wrote:Guzzoa,

I re-powered my 36 Trojan Convertible last spring with twin Crusader 8.1 Gas engines (385 HP). I have had it up to 33 knots and still had some power left.

If I run about 21 -22 knots I burn about 20-21 GPH .

I had both engines installed brand new with 4 old gas tanks removed and 2 new ones installed for about $38,000. I looked at having diesel engines installed but the costs were almost double for decent engines…. I am not sure how 250 HP Diesels compare to even the Chryslers.. I would be afraid they still may be underpowered.
Im running 454's XL's , what props are you running? Im also looking at removing the aft tanks right now and leaving the wing tanks in.
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
jb100

Post by jb100 »

I am not sure what kind of props I have-- They are the same props that were on the boat when I purchased it 2 seasons ago. However the props were sent out to be changed for the specifications of the new engines. (I am not exactly sure what they did to them).

My old tanks were clogging my fuel filters just about every time out. I was thrilled to get rid of all of them. I now have two new wing tanks which in total hold about 250 Gal. and I have a lot of extra storage under the back deck since I removed the back two tanks.
jb100

Post by jb100 »

I should also add..

If your wing tanks are galvanized you may also want to consider removing them and replacing them when the engines are out. It seems the old galvanized tanks break down and this why my filters kept clogging up. Each time I would pull the filters I found clumps of clay looking sand which I was told was what happens with the galvanized tanks.

The only way I believe to remove the tanks are to have the engines out. So if you would ever have a problem after putting new engines in it would be real costly to have to replace the tanks.
jb100

Post by jb100 »

Hello Buckknekkid,

I just noticed I got you mixed up with Guzzoa, looks as if you already have decent engines, How have the 454 xls preformed for you?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

guzzoa I have a F36 with 2 300hp BTA cummins love it . have frends
with the 250s run real good

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

454's

Post by Buckknekkid »

the engines are great. Less than 150 on starboard and last year I rebuilt the port. A muffler hanging strap broke and let the muffler drop at the forward point. this kinked the exhaust hose and the result was a burnt piston long story short. I used a local racing shop ( Mercruiser) and they gave me back a real strong tight running motor. Im now replacing the aft deck and frames so the tanks are looking easy to git rid of. We seldom travel more that 50 miles at a time so it would be one less thing to deal with. Im wondering about the C of G and balance though. I am installing several 8D's for the inverter so that will help. Buckk
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Repowering Trojan 36 Convertible

Post by prowlersfish »

guzzoa wrote:Hi Guys,

I am planing to repower my Trojan 36 convertible (74) with cummins 6 BTA engines (250 HP), anyone here did that? Any hint? and the 64000 question, how the performance will be compared with the Chrysler 440 engines.

Best Regards
your cruse will be 21-23 knots top speed 25 may coles to 26 knots
my 300s I cruse up to 24 knots(21-24) (some times close to 26 but rarly as want these to last) top speed is 27.6 knots(full load & fuel) but the bow is plowing due to no stern tanks an only a light (N.L.) 4.5kw genset the 250 cumkmins is really the same eng just a litle less power on top the 250 is rated at 2600rpm the 300 at 2800 the power curve is almost the same at 2600 and below both engines will cruse almost the same and are good engines if you were to run both engines hard the 250 would last longer. if I was to replace my engines i would be happy with the 250s the choice would be on price the 250 (or 270) is problely the perfice choce as the 300 (or the 330 up) is over kill . I would be happy to demo to anyone who is thinking of a repower also . 25 bucks spent at boatdiesel.com is worth every penny if your even thinking of repower
Paul
feel free to e mail me at yahoo.com (prowlersfish )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D