Rebuild in the boat 8v71 DD

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bafalobob

Rebuild in the boat 8v71 DD

Post by bafalobob »

I have 8v71 dds, and they need to be rebuilt. Is there a trick to getting the pan off in order to change my pistons and sleves in the block. Removing the block is almost impossible. Can I just jack up the engine and trany?
Looking for some magic
Robert
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I've heard of guys rebuilding in frame by lifting the engine and blocking it up enough to remove the pan. As long as the crank is good, I've heard its doable.
bafalobob

how much room do I need?

Post by bafalobob »

how much room will i need to get the pan out, and can I not pull the crankshaft from below If I need to ?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I don't know how much you'll have to lift but I would expect 12-16" and of course very well supported with a secondary safety support (awful lot of iron in detroits).

You will have to remove the tranny to get to the rear main seal anyway and it will make access easier so I'd just do it straight away.

I've never done one but I've hear that if the crank needs to be removed, the block really should come out. I would imagine it's doable in the boat but getting the crank back in from the bottom without nicking anything doesn't sound fun.