Is a trojan 31 a lake boat or an ocean boat?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

richfromla

Is a trojan 31 a lake boat or an ocean boat?

Post by richfromla »

I'm looking for a boat to discover the channel islands. My uncle's got a trojan 31 (its landlocked.)
Its a good boat for as far as being 100% restored. But, is this a boat that can handle the open seas?
richfromla

Post by richfromla »

So I guess there aren't to many Trojan 31s out the a?
f36f36

Post by f36f36 »

what kind of open seas you looking to handle, not familar with your destination............
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

A 31 foot boat in open seas can be a little small. I fish the ocean and the Chesapeake Bay with a Tojan 11 meter. I would not want a 12 foot wide boat out on the ocean in rough water especially a 31 foot. I had a 33 three foot Carver and it did not do well in rough water. Now a 34 foot luhrs could handle it but I still believe a 11 meter Trojan is the smallest for the job amd it should have diesels. A 11 meter trojan is 14 feet wide and weighs enough to handle the bigger waves. Even then if it going to get rough I am heading in. I mean by rough being 6 feet or more of waves. Now for fishing off shore I have seen all sizes out there. But if it gets rough I would want something that was plenty sea worth.
etpence

Post by etpence »

i have a 1973 31' trojan that I fish regularly fish offshore in the gulf of mexico and have been caught in some pretty rough weather 4'-6' seas
and the boat performed great
I have twin 5.7 mpi pcm engines in it at 3600 rpm I get 1.2 MPG this is with a clean bottom and a full load of fuel 210gal.