1972 Trojan 36 ft. Sedan Fiberglass Hull Repairs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

planb

1972 Trojan 36 ft. Sedan Fiberglass Hull Repairs

Post by planb »

In a recent survey three large blisters in the hull were found, one 4 inches in diameter and the other two large blisters two inches in diameter. There were also two areas of delamination at the FRP of the hull under body. One, one foot in length on the underside of the keel and one 3 feet forward of the keel 2 feet in length. The surveyor noted to grind affected areas and repair. How seroius of a repair is this and what kind of costs and time could be involved?

The surveyor also made note of 100 small blisters on the portside and 50 blisters on the starboard side. How servious is blistering and what type of remedy and cost might be involved?

Is this amount of blistering normal for a boat of this age? Some people said managing blistering is normal. A boat yard gave us a bid for $10,000 to completely re do the bottom. We would certainly like to try avoiding a repair that expensive at this time.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Blistering can range in seroiusness from cosmetic to structural and needs to be dealt with appropriately.

Here is required reading for a boat owner before dealing with blisters.
http://www.yachtsurvey.com/blisters.htm
If you're a boat owner who has shelled out a lot of bucks to get your blisters fixed, and you're asking yourself why didn't anyone tell me this, then you're asking the right question.

The answer is that, like the boat builder who built your boat using lousy resin and layup techniques in the first place, the boat yard doesn't know because they're more interested in getting your ten grand than in knowing what it is that they're doing. After all, if they knew they couldn't fix it, they'd have a more difficult time explaining why they took your ten grand. So ignorance is bliss unless you decide to sue them, which you probably won't do because it will cost you more than the value of the problem and if you loose, you're out even more. And so the yard is fairly safe in continuing their ignorance because they can blame it all on the materials manufacturer anyway, who will point the finger back at them and you'll have to sue them both and hire a lot of expensive experts, if you can find any.
For minor blisters on a 1972 pearson 30 sailboat , I had good luck with DIY Interlux barrier treatment, which has held up well for 10+ years now. A friend of mine still owns the boat. Drying and proper surface preparation are crucial.

Interprotect 2000E/2001E is a two-part self priming epoxy for protection against water absorption and reducing the occurrence of gelcoat blisters. 2000E/2001E have similar protective properties as Interprotect 2000 but do not contain methylene chloride, making this newer version a more enviromentally sound choice.
Interprotect's Micro-Plate formula provides millions of overlapping microscopic plates. When bound in the epoxy coatings, they create an overlapping barrier similar to shingles on a roof. Water and contaminants are kept out.

Lots A Luck,
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Chuck posted some excellent info on the topic and I would encourage you read all of it.

Some boats are known to be prone to blistering. It has been my experience that the early vintage Trojans (pre 1974 oil crisis) were not. There are always exceptions and I suppose that since this is one of the earliest examples of Trojans efforts in F (fiberglass) series boats, this could be an anomoly or, is it possible the hull has been repqaired at some later date?

If I were condiering the purchase of a used vessel and that vessel had a defect worth 20-40% of the vessels ultimate value, I would certainly proceed with cuation.
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

click on the link and you can see a lot of the repairs

Post by Buckknekkid »

we re almost ready to apply the non skid http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10937

lots of photos
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD