Steering problem, rudder is not responding

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jrbro22

Post by jrbro22 »

rossjo wrote:jrbro22,

Did you get your rudder working? Just curious what it was ...
no, when boat was pulled out, found out that the blade part of rudder has broken off the shaft and that the prop strut had been bent. as far as i know the boat has not hit anything and was told by previous owner that all was practically new, was redone 4-5 years ago and was only used once or twice since. i am now trying to find the rudder but having a pretty hard time looking for one. would you know the exact dimensions of the rudder and also the prop. please let me know, thank you
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Humm - thats bad - and an advertisement for having a Survey done ... or at least a Sea Trial with an experienced boater along. Anyway - I've already been accused of being the spell checker ;-) so I'll get off my soap box.

Someone on here will probably be able to find a rudder, or you can probably get one from Beacon ... (or have one made). Unless the trailer lifts the boat at least 2-3 feet of the ground, you will have problems getting it installed without a lift (or in the water).

The Strut is a Beacon replacement. Can be easily done on the trailer.

Next, you'll need to determine if the prop shaft (and propellor) was damaged as well ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The rudders do not have to be the same as OEM shaft size and length is important . blade area should be aprox the same ,but if if its diffrent its no big deal ( more blade area the better it can turn in most cases ) I just changed both my rudders and when to a difrent style and lost apox 10% blade area and cannot tell any diffrence . The diffrent type saved me over half the cost of OEM type . the strut should be a exact replacement to save a lot of refitting .

Becon should have the exact replacement parts

What shaft size do you have ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jrbro22

Post by jrbro22 »

prowlersfish wrote:The rudders do not have to be the same as OEM shaft size and length is important . blade area should be aprox the same ,but if if its diffrent its no big deal ( more blade area the better it can turn in most cases ) I just changed both my rudders and when to a difrent style and lost apox 10% blade area and cannot tell any diffrence . The diffrent type saved me over half the cost of OEM type . the strut should be a exact replacement to save a lot of refitting .

Becon should have the exact replacement parts

What shaft size do you have ?
thank you for the response. from what i was told by the person in charge of the harbor, the diameter is about 1" and the rudder size is around 15 to 18" including shaft and rudder. i got these dimensions from a couple of guys from the harbor.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

To get a rudder The shaft diameter has got to be the same not about the same the shaft lenth has to be the same or can be longer blade can be a liltle biger or smaller . ,
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI