Removing the flybridge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

St. Valentine II

Removing the flybridge

Post by St. Valentine II »

I'm thinking of purchasing a 42' Trojan but I must have it transported overland. Problem is, it has a flybridge which makes it too tall. They can only transport it if they remove the flybridge. How complicated is that and does anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost?
Wingit48

Post by Wingit48 »

I did the same thing with my 42' voyager several years ago. I have a 1972 and had to remove the bridge to transport the boat. The bridge is designed to be cut just below the windshield in front of the main helm extending to the bottom of the side windows. Once cut, simply unbolt the two steel posts at the stern and the ladder to the bridge and remove the side window assemblies, cutting just below the window slides. Originally, the boat was designed to be able to remove the bridge as a separate unit and lay it all on the bow of the boat for transport altho I moved the bridge by a separate trailer. It is not a big job and the bridge can be cut off with a reciprocating saw and reattached, sealing the joint with 5200 or equal. It took the yard about 1/2 a day to do it and i put it back together in a morning. The side windows must be removed along with their moulding. A word of warning: With bridge removed, the instrument panel and controls and wheel stick up about 12". The idiot moving the boat did not take this into consideration and he hit the first overpass on the Maine turnpike, shearing off all the controls, the panel and the steering assembly. BE SURE TO CHECK THE OVERALL HEIGHT before heading down the road. These assemblies can be removed if necessary without huge effort. Good luck.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Removed Flybridge

Post by JuiceClark »

During Hurricane Charley, a forty-some foot live oak landed right on my flybridge. I took the whole thing off and had it rebuilt. It's just connected on an F-36 with long screws all the way around the outside. Just unscrew it and slide it forward onto the bow for transport.
Like everything with Trojans, the bridge is heavy duty. It took a man on each corner to pick it up and move it forward. Don't try to short it with 2 or three guys because you'll break a window or crack the deck.

Best of luck, Tony