Looking at a 1974 Tri-Cabin- Questions, suggestions, help?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sloopercat

Looking at a 1974 Tri-Cabin- Questions, suggestions, help?

Post by sloopercat »

First of all, I have read all 44 pages of previous posts. The boat is in decent shape and looks like it has had a lot of TLC over the years. It has 440's, with about 2500 hours on the meter.

What is the life expectancy of those engines?
What about the rest of the drive train?

Only leak I found is in the starboard rear cabin corner. I saw some posts on what to look for there. The rear faux wood deck covering looks to have been replaced a few years ago and is coming loose in some spots. What lurks under there? Wood decking? And is this a problem area for rot? What about the rest of the decking? Is this boat cored or solid glass like my Chris-Craft?

According to the documentation it has a Mansfield TDX system for sanitiation. The current owner seems unaware of the sanitation system and has had the boat for two years. Where is it located? What are the chances of it being functional again in a boat this age? And what are the approx cost of a system, if it needs replacement. I did do some research on the net on this system and I see it needs regular doses of chemical, which I know the current owner has not done.

Boat has been used more as a floating condo the last two years, but the PO looks to have done a lot of preventive maintenance, exhaust, replaced carbs, tune, oil and fluids etc and a electric pump system was installed for easy oil change with manifolding and valves I have not quite figured out. The current owner ran it about a 100 miles up to it's current location with no issues.

I plan on doing a compression check, but the current owner says all was well when it was checked. Plan on an extended sea trial as well.

What should I be looking for, at? Is there a checklist of stuff to check.

Coming from another boat of similar vintage, so I am aware of boat stuff. Read a lot about the 12V electrical connector issues.

I would appreciate any advice, warinings, things to look for. Just not real familiar with this boat.
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I have a '74 Tri-Cabin (I have owned it for 6 years or so now....), so I'll chime in.

The hull is solid glass, no coring.

Yes, the back deck is the main problem spot for rot. Especially the back corners. The boat sits aft-heavy, and water tends to collect in the corners, especially if your scuppers get clogged. (Which they do, because they're small!)

Side windows in the salon tend to leak, and you'll probably have to reseat the rail-screws with 3M or equivalent...

I am not familiar with those engines (as mine were already replaced when I bought the boat).

All in all, the old Trojans really were built like tanks.

Any other questions, fire away.
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

Oh, as far as the Mansfield goes, probably plan on replacing it with an Electra-Scan, costs about a grand.
sloopercat

Thanks for the replies

Post by sloopercat »

Still on the fence. Just spent two years excorsizing the demons from my 30ft Chris Craft. Simple stuff to correct, by comparison. This boat needs some help, but basically all there. About $30K. I know the market is soft, does that sound reasonable for a boat that basically needs a little TLC in the normal spots?

Still may hold out for diesels. Despite what the gov says, this scaling back is not over. I am seeing more decent older boats on the market now then there were all winter.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

my dad owned a tri cabin from 1972 until 2008. he experienced leaky salon windows about 10 years ago and 1. drilled extra drain holes towards the back of the outer frame (remember, shes stern heavy) and 2. had some teak cut to raise the interior frame.
the back bulkheads were the achilles heel of this model as they were marine plywood covered with formica inside and out. the square windows were also prone to leaking. dad had trojan come to the boat about 20 years ago and they rebuilt the back bulkheads at their cost and rebedded the windows. if you do that, i suggest you put rounded windows or even port lights in that location. the back deck was completely rebuilt about 4 years ago as it had rotted out because the teak deck leaked and water was abosrbed into the ply wood subdecking. he will be at the rendezvous in st. michaels so those of you that have tri cabin questions, start getting your file ready.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

$30K sounds high in today's market.

Even in great shape, $20K sounds more likely, especially with engines with those hours on them.

It's a buyer's market.

Truth be told, these boats are "easy to fix" even if you have to rip up some decking or what-not.
All parts that I have needed to replace are "off the shelf" and readily available at most any marine store.

I love my Tri-Cabin. It's not a new boat, but it sure has character, something lacking in today's "generic" boats.

Any other questions, feel free......
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

I passed on the boat. Just too much work for the $$. Plus I am 800 miles away and only get down two weekends a month. The teak was especially overwhelming, just thought I would never get ahead of it.

I looked at the rear deck after a rain, the corners were pretty soft. I did not see any obvious drain holes/scuppers in that deck.

So I just keep the Chris-Craft for a while. Better the enemy you know, I guess. I have that at least figured out, a much simpler boat with a lack of varnished teak.

Thanks for your input.
Thedaphne

Re: Looking at a 1974 Tri-Cabin- Questions, suggestions, help?

Post by Thedaphne »

Can anyone take a photo to show the positioning of the scuppers /drain holes for the backdeck, please.
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Looking at a 1974 Tri-Cabin- Questions, suggestions, help?

Post by Moderator »

Thedaphne wrote:Can anyone take a photo to show the positioning of the scuppers /drain holes for the backdeck, please.
You may have better luck starting a new thread , this one is old and a different subject line

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater