Diesel vs. Gas

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

St. Valentine II

Diesel vs. Gas

Post by St. Valentine II »

I'm looking at a couple of different boats and need some guidance. They're both 1969 42' Trojans. One is gas. The other is diesel with a flybridge. The diesel is $15,000 more. All things being equal, is it worth it? Also, I've heard conflicting reports on fuel efficiency. I've been told the gas burns about 10 gallons per hour while the diesel burns closer to 3 per hour. What's the truth?
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Diesels generally get very close to twice the mileage as gas. If a particular vessel consumes 30 GPH with gas engines, at the same speed and loading, with diesels it would consume around 16-17 GPH. In large planning boats, diesel is usually preferred due to torque. If you are planning on running at trawler speeds, the choice becomes harder.

Deisel engines generally cost more to buy than gas. This contributes to a higher resale value. Is it "worth it"? That depends on your point of view. A neglected diesel engine is much harder to live with than a neglected gas engine. Repairs can be very costly! However, If a deisel engine is well maintained, (and in many cases, maintenance isn't that much more expensive than gas if you do it yourself), they can be very easy to own... consider that most commercial guys only run deisels.

IMHO, how you plan to use the boat should dictate which power you chose. If you plan to use the boat as a dockside condo, don't spend the extra on diesels. If you only plan on going for short cruises at hull speeds and will log less than 40-75 hours per year, I might still favor gas engines. If you plan to run that boat on plane, and are logging some hours (on plane), that thing will be an absolute pig with gas engines - spend the extra money on a good set of diesel engines.
rossjo
Ultimate User

RESALE

Post by rossjo »

Resale value and speed of sale is always better with a diesel. So you might pay $15k more, and save a few $ operating the vessel, yet be able to reoup the $15k (or more( fully when you sell in 5 years or so. The gas engines will be even older and less desirable then - whereas age/hours are not a as big a concern onthe diesels.

IThe final nail inthe coffis is safety. Deisel will not burn or explode, as gas powered boats can and will do. I will never own an inboard board with gas engines again (I still onw a 26) after owning an F32 with twin Cummins.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

every thing rosjo said is corect and I may add that the fuel burn on the 42 sounds to low ( both gas and diesel ) even per engine unless this is a 7 knot boat
Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D