prop shaft/stuffing box leak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

prop shaft/stuffing box leak

Post by guglielmo6160 »

hello all, I seem to have developed a starboard engine, prop shaft leak where the shaft exits the boat near the rubber boot. I believe its coming from the large nut where the rope seal is,
my question is , can I snug it up or do I have to haul the boat to deal with this
1983 10 meter express
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

You can tighten it up. :lol:
Better than I deserve
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Tighten a 1/4 turn at a time. If the nut bottoms out, then you need to repack. I've added a little extra packing a few times while still in the water to just get by for the season after bottoming out the nut. I've completely repacked once, cleaning out all the old first but it was a little un-nerving seeing all that watter gush in while I wrapped the new packing around the shaft. It can be done....
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

thanks, will try, to tighten, Im assume I use a large pipe wrench?
1983 10 meter express
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

how much of a leak? a certain amount is acceptable, need some or the packing will overheat. Of course there will be other opinions, but usually between one and four drops per minute would be acceptable.

gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Repacking the shaft while in the water is not that big of a deal. Once you take off the packing nut water will come in through the shaft log. Take a rag and poke it in around the shaft and stuffing box. This will almost completely stop the flow of water. You can then take your time picking out the old packing. Just make sure you get all of the old packing out of the nut. Cut and install the new packing. You will need to remove the rag at this point and screw the packing nut on the shaft log. As you tighten the nut, the packing will be pressed into the bottom of the nut. Once it is tight, back it off and add another piece of packing. Press it into the nut again by tightening. Remove the nut and add a third piece of packing. Once the third and last piece of packing is pressed into the nut, back it off until you get water dripping from the shaft. The water cools the shaft as it spins in the packing. Tighten the lock nut and the job is done.

If you want to poke the rag around the shaft you can while you put the second and then the third piece of packing in the nut , or just let the water flow. (The bilge pump will take care of the water.)
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
mtwolf

Post by mtwolf »

I have to agree with Gerry 100 percent. I repacked my starboard last summer, in the water, and now the port side is about ready. Just be sure to stagger the packing, about a third of the way around from the other, when you do it.

John
F-31
Middle River, MD
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

I use a sharpie to mark the nut where the joint is. You can loose track of where the joint is when you press the packing into the nut. Stagger the joints so they are 120 degrees apart.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

ok guys , thanks so much for all the info, and the pictures as well. Im going to do it this morning and hopefully will be able to snug it up. My only concern is that those nuts look funky. I hope their not seized , so Im bringing some penetrating oil etc to help. I think the PO left some stufffing in the hardware draw, but for today Im going to try to snug up,
my leak is substantial. I do know a little is good, but mine is a constant flow. Enough for concern, as I leave my boat in during the winter and typically will pour antifreeze into the bilge to prevent freezing and dont want it washing out with the bilge pumps. Thats my biggest concern. I wouldnt have a problem with a few drips.
will update , and try to post pictures
1983 10 meter express
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

ok, update,
went to the marina and was able to snug up the shaft stuffing box with no problems at all, worked like a charm, I didnt replace the sealing medium, but def stopped the leak till the spring.
many thanks to all , and thanks to Aaron for the step by step, I appreciate it.[img][img]http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63 ... 6_0912.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63 ... 6_0914.jpg[/img][/img]
1983 10 meter express
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

paint that fibreglass

Post by Buckknekkid »

I did mine on Monday. Raw fibreglass is porous, I would take the time to paint the bilges. :!:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

are you referring to mine? it seems to have a gloss to it as if sealed with epoxy or something, I do plan on doing a thorugh cleanning of the bilge before winter hits,,
thanks
1983 10 meter express