Converting to diesel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

St. Valentine II

Converting to diesel

Post by St. Valentine II »

Anyone have any idea how expensive it would be to convert at 42' Trojan from gas to diesel or even if it's possible to do that?
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

It’s possible but probably not worth it. The cost of engines alone would be in the 40K range not to mention the cost of replacing the fuel tanks and instrumentation. You might want to look at the Crusader 6.0L gas engines, they are very good on fuel.
St. Valentine II

Thanks. I'm looking at a couple of 42 footers. One is gas, one is diesel. The diesel also has a flybridge. Other than that, they're identical. The only problem is, the diesel is $25,000 more. Is it worth it? I've been warned of the dangers of gas (explosion, etc.) but don't know how much of a risk that is.
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

As long as you check for gas fumes before starting up you will be fine. I have been around boat my life and I have never seen an boat explode yet, just take the proper precautions.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

St. Valentine II wrote:Thanks. I'm looking at a couple of 42 footers. One is gas, one is diesel. The diesel also has a flybridge. Other than that, they're identical. The only problem is, the diesel is $25,000 more. Is it worth it? I've been warned of the dangers of gas (explosion, etc.) but don't know how much of a risk that is.
that would depend on the make and type of diesels cummins 504 no
cummins 6BTAs yes old nissan no! many volvos yes. what type of diesels are they ? I would never go back to gas in any boat over 30 foot .

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
St. Valentine II

Engines are twin Detroit 6V 53's. At least, that's what the ad says. Not sure exactly what that means but it SOUNDS impressive. Now you see why I need help. I know next to nothing about diesels.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

They are out dated.oil leakers smokers and I love them. not made any more but so many were made that parts will be avalable forever still a big markit . in low H.P. ratings they will run forever in high HP rating (turbo aftercooled etc) it is a diffrent story . what is the HP rating ?
get a surrvey on the eng by someone who knows D.D. some people hate them some love them . yes they add to the boat value

Paul
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D