F26 over-planing (nose diving)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Ralph Rowe

F26 over-planing (nose diving)

Post by Ralph Rowe »

OK --PLEASE TELL ME. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A CLEAN F26 ALL WINTER AND FOUND WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR-- BUT NOW-- BEFORE I FINALIZE THE PURCHASE-IS THIS BOAT WORTHY-WITH ALL OF THESE OVER-PLANING PROBLEMS I AM HEARING ABOUT. I DON'T WANT TO BUY SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT HANDLE WELL. WHAT'S THE STORY.

THANKS RALPH ROWE
Paul
Active User

Nose Diving ?

Post by Paul »

Hi Ralph,

If you're nose diving with this hull, you've got too much tab down or you're running to fast. I have on occasion pushed my boat up to 28-30 mph @ WOT and found that it simply did not handle well at this speed. These boats were designed to cruise between 18-25 mph and they do it well in head on and quartering seas. Following or stern quarter seas however can somtimes be a hand full. The boat tends to get pushed around and becomes hard to handle unless you are traveling faster than the waves.

Like most boats, there's a learning curve on how best to handle it. I went thru a couple of hair raising moments with mine and now know not only how the boat will react in certain situations but how to deal with it.

Overall, I think these boats are Awsom :D

Hope This Helps
Paul
"Cruise Control"
'78 F-26
Ralph Rowe

Post by Ralph Rowe »

Paul, thank you. Many boats I have been involved with seem to have minor handling problems and as you say- figure it out it is usually nothing. I am satisfied that the 26 is what I want.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

bow heavy

Post by JuiceClark »

When I repowered with more modern engines, removed the generator and replaced the galvanized tanks with an aluminum one, the boat lost at least 1000 lbs in the back and became bow heavy. It's good until the gas tank, now under the cockpit, is more than half empty.
So, I need to add weight to the back of the boat! There's really nothing at the bow except the big anchor and windlass. Maybe I'll throw a couple bags of sand under the cockpit. Anyway, I have the problem too.
Tony