waste tank hoses - smell

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

waste tank hoses - smell

Post by BobCT »

I'm trying to eliminate a major smell issue in my mid bilge right in front of the head. I thought it was standing water which I pumped out and cleaned up.

I needed to do that anyway but I'm starting to think it might be something else. I've been reading about waste tank hoses being the source as they get older. I'm assuming these are the original-20 years old. It just so happens that all of the waste components are right in this area.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it by installing new hoses? I will double-check all of the hose connections again which look ok at first glance. The tank is plastic, I assume that should be ok.

thanks,
Bob
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

take a wet warm rag set it on the hoses, come back in about and half hour give it to your wife and tell her smell this, if she says stinks and and hits you with the rag change the the hoses. :lol: but yes they do go bad and that's the way to test them and if they're 20 yrs old they are done.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

In my experience, any of the plastics in your waste system made of PVC seem to absorb the unfavorable oders from waste and over time, leach out into the closed compartments. If you choose to replace, I'd recommend the white solid wall variety vs the soft wall type with the visible wire re-inforcement. The heavier stuff seems to do well for 10+ years. IMO, the lighter stuff is not worth the time to put it in.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

One thing that will help is flushing the head with fresh water rather then salt water ( or lake or river water to a lesser degree) when you flush with raw water it has all sorts of stuff living in it . once it gets in the lines , things die and start to smell . I have changed over my last 2 boats for this resone
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I had the same issue and changed the head discharge hose and electrasan hose and it solved that stinking problem.............. :lol:
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
mytrojan

Post by mytrojan »

I agree with the earlier post about hoses absorbing odors. I had the same issue and checked for leaks (none). When the macerator pump needed replacement, I replaced the hoses. MUCH better. I also make sure after pump out to run some fresh water thru the system. I use the odor control treatment sold at Walmart in the RV section.
1971 SeaVoyager 36 "Scallywag"
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

If your Sanitation hose has a discolored look and has a sticky feel then it is time to change it out.
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

WilleTrojan hit the nail on the head. My hoses were original and discolored and sticky - signs the plasticizers in the PVC were leaching out. I had to replace the water heater last year and chose to have my marina tackle that along with replacing the hoses. Stink is gone and the hot water is hot again, too! I also agree about pumping out with fresh water if you are in salt. I have a manual Jabsco and directions tell you to flush with at least 7 strokes of the pump to ensure all solid waste and paper are not anywhere in the hose, but in the tank---another thing to consider. Finally, be sure to pump it out on a regular basis - don't let things lie in the tank for more than a couple of weeks - I've been using a nitrate treatment for the past 3 years and it eliminates odors from the tank really well, but it still needs to be pumped out every 2 weeks, sooner in really hot weather.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Last month I pulled all the stinking stuff out and installed a composting toilet. Haven't had chance to really check it out yet but all the folks who have them locally say they work great. Check it out at http://www.natureshead.net/
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
hooked

Re: waste tank hoses - smell

Post by hooked »

i have a F32 and the waste tank is under the v berth. I just replaced all the hoses and checked for leaks none found. I rinsed the whole area . Came back in two days and still have odor. Any suggestions? Could I need a new tank? Thanks
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Maybe that smell is from water in the hollow keel??
Lots to read... enjoy.
http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/searc ... ollow+keel
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Time to replace the hoses Bob. I replaced mine with the white #148 standard hose. With what Ive learned from my never ending boat research, I was temped to tear out all the new hoses since I now know that they are only good for two to five years and replace them with either sch 40 pvc pipe or the painfully expensive "good hose". Be warned, the hose from the vacuum canister to the bottom of the head is a joy to replace as is the hose to the deck fitting. the one to the deck fitting runs through the cabinet directly behind the head. to get to the actual fitting you need to remove the microwave then remove the panel on the right side and you will have great access. before you start, go to home depot and purchase a 3m resperator with the organic vapor cartridge, Just trust me on this one!
Good luck!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Lean Wolf

Post by Lean Wolf »

I have a 1979 F44 and dealt with both stinking waste hoses and a horrible smell coming from stagnant water in the hollow keel. With the hoses, if you rub one with your fingers and you can smell the hose on your fingers, they need to be replaced. My understanding is that it is actually a fungus you cannot see that causes the smell. I also had a similar odor coming from the stagnant water in the hollow keel. I cut a hole in the keel, drained it then installed a brass plug. Between these two fixes, the smell is gone.
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd, good thing I'm not stuck somewhere waiting for your reply.... that post is six years old! :)

Actually, this is a good long term update. I did replace all of the hoses and used the most expensive Shields hose. So far it's as good as new so I'm pretty sure I have several more years to go. Next time, I will use PVC in as many places as practical. It's so cheap and easy to work with, why not. I think if you used a bunch of sweeping 45's you could eliminate 75% of the hose.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I just installed two vacuflush heads. I used clear PVC pipe where possible. As expensive as it was, it was cheaper than premium sanitation hose. I have about eight feet of hose total with the two heads on a 36' boat, counting intake to the vacuum unit and discharge to the tank. Plus the hose leading to the pumpout fitting. An added benefit, and perhaps the motivating factor, is that you can troubleshoot clogs visually.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!