36' Convertible Gas Tank Rust

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

planb

36' Convertible Gas Tank Rust

Post by planb »

During a recent survey a couple small rust spots were found on our original issue gas fuel tanks. The tanks are painted with some type of marine grey paint. The surveyor said the tank rust should be removed/treated and the affected areas repainted. What is the proper procedure to do this.

Any input would be appreciated.
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

forward or aft tanks? if you have four tanks run on two and remove the others for replacement. If they are old dont play with fire
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
planb

Trojan 36 Gas tanks

Post by planb »

They are the aft tanks. The paint had some rust discoloration in a very small area. trhe sruveyor thougt is could be repaired. Any idea on cost to replace tanks?
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Capital X

Post by Buckknekkid »

its going to be expensive!!!! budget at least $10 K for the aft deck replacement and $ 1 to 2 K per tank. Drain em and leave em!! sorta like an ex wife :lol:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Gas tanks

Post by JuiceClark »

I missed what year your f-36 is? Mine is a 1982 and the whole cockpit deck lifts up with just a few screws. I opened mine up, threw away the old, crappy generator and ALL four galvanized tanks. Because the back of the boat is now at least 1,500 pounds lighter, I had my welder build a 300 gallon, aluminum tank that fits under the cockpit.
The total cost, only for the tank's construction and installation was $1,600. However, now I'm a little bow heavy when that big tank is getting empty. Haven't quite figured how to deal with that yet...other than keep gas in the boat. Stern heavy is ok because trim tabs can compensate. But bow heavy is more difficult...something to consider with all this.

Whatever the case...it's better than blowing up because of a fuel leak.

Tony in Fort Myers, FL
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

its a 74, gennies scrap but good ballast for exactly that reason, plus Im carrying 150 gallons back there too
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
Megan Hundley

Post by Megan Hundley »

my husband and i do tank replacement and fiberglass repair. if you had to have the floor cut and removed, it wouldnt be that expensive as compared to other aspects of boating. 1000.00 to 2000.00 should bye the tank and have it installed with the floor in place. thats with my company.
if youd like to call them for a solid price quote the name and number is:
Wave Rider Mfg
(804) 758-8108 ask for ricky
theyre there mon - fri 9-5:30
planb

Post by planb »

A newer teak transom deck was installed a few years ago that appears to come out with just a dozen or so screws, hopefully
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

You can get replacement tanks for a lot less than $1000, depending on size expect to pay about $400, to $600 for a custom made tank.

http://www.americantanks.net/
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

The original gas tanks were most likely galvanized steel, and they rust. I replaced my when the rust started on the INSIDE of the tank and crapped up my carb and fuel system. You're right. The deck can be removed. The cost factor will be tank drainage (if necessary) and replacement. Based on what I'm reading about the perils of ethanol on fiberglas tanks I'd opt for plastic or aluminum.