"77 F-25 Questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Half Moon

"77 F-25 Questions

Post by Half Moon »

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

I have an F-25, 1977 is the year of its birth. It has original 318 Chrysler engine with Velvet Drive 1:1 transmission.

First question: I am in process of getting it ready for the water, putting on new trim tabs, bottom paint, usual spring details. The propeller is flat out stuck on the shaft. No amount of pulling, hammering, etc has gotten it off. Question is, if its toast, what is the ideal replacement. Is there a website or something that will give me the ideal prop for this?

Second, if anyone knows, what is the ideal cruising speed for this boat.

thanks in advance

Dave
etpence

Post by etpence »

Hello Half Moon

what is best is to get the hp of the 318 which should be 225hp, max rpm then your tranny ratio, hull type,this information is then given to a propeller reconditioning company and they will feed this into the computer and it will feed the the best dia and pitch for your vessel
my 318s had a max RPM rating 4000 you want the pitch to be according that at WOT you are bumping the engine max rpms
to low a pitch and it will over rev to high and you wont be able to reach the max rated rpms of the engine
hope this helps
todd
31 trojan Mio Mio
Paul
Active User

Prop It Right

Post by Paul »

Hi Dave,

If you're not sure that the existing prop size & pitch is correct, try contacting Michigan Wheel and ask the experts what you should be running. Go to http://www.miwheel.com , click on "Prop It Right" then "Inboard Analysis" and fill out the information. Their marine engineer will evaluate this information and e-mail you back his recomendations.

As far as removing the old prop, a three jaw puller should do it. If not, then use a bigger puller. Using heat or a hammer is a "bad idea" as this can damage the shaft, cutlass bearing or the thrust bearing in the transmission.

Hope this helps
Paul
Cruise Conrol
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I had the same problem with my prop. I had to hire a local marine mechanic to torch it off. They didn't cut anything, they just heated up the prop and then were able to knock it off. The mechanic charged a flat rate for prop pulling of about $70 or $80. It took him about 1/2 an hour but he got it off. Hope this helps.

Ken
1972 F-25 FWC Chrysler 318, Paragon Trans, V-Drive
Little Creek, Norfolk, VA
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

here is the proper tool to remove a stuck prop.
You can buy the tool for about $120-150 or if you are lucky a local prop shop might loan you one at no cost (with a deposit to assure its return of course).

Applying pressure to the hub with the prop puller combined with some heat on the hub should remove "immovable" props.

more details at http://www.eddysmit.com/

Good Luck!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI