Shoot Thru Hull Transducer

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Rosenelle III

Shoot Thru Hull Transducer

Post by Rosenelle III »

According to the Raymarine site, for a shoot thru hull transducer to work, there cannot be foam, wood, or an air pocket between the transducer and fiberglass. For an 87 10 Meter express, does anybody know if the hull uses foam or wood? And, would there access to the fiberglass directly?

I just purchased the boat don't want to wait until next year to install a through hull, so I was thinking maybe using an in-hull model.

Also, has anybody done this and how well do they work?

Thanks in advance.

Regads,
Dave
Paul
Active User

In Hull

Post by Paul »

I have 2 transducers epoxied into the bottom of my hull. 1 Garmin and 1 Uniden and they both work great. You have to make sure that when you install transducers this way that there is nothing forward of them on the bottom of the hull that will cause a turbulent flow or cavitation across the mounting location. There must also be no air pockets trapped in the fiberglass at the mounting location. To test the location, build a dam in a circle around the transducer with puddy and squeese it well to the hull. Then fill it with water and try out your depth sounder. If it works, you've found a good spot.

A cored hull will prevent this type of installation.

Hope this helps
Paul
Cruise Control
Rosenelle III

Post by Rosenelle III »

Thanks Paul. Were you able to find a spot that was parallel to the water, or did you have to build it up? And, if so, how?

Does anybody know if the hull on an 87 10 Meter Express is cored?

Regards,
Dave