Underwater Stern Lights -- again, the cheapo way

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JuiceClark
Moderate User

Underwater Stern Lights -- again, the cheapo way

Post by JuiceClark »

So, do you'all think this will work? Or is it another stupid attempt to do something myself. (the windows covers worked out great!)

I want to put underwater lights on the stern. When on friends boats they are just great when fishing at night. Plus, all the girls say "neato" when they're on at the marina.

So, I saw this link on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hurley-U ... dZViewItem

Great idea...but at 150 watts on each trim tab, a constant burn of 300 plus watts would make the generator necessary more often than I want. We have LED lights today for such uses! So, I think I'm going to buy these similarly bright LED pond lights and fashion a deal to put 2 on each of the tabs like the other ones.

http://cgi.ebay.com/72-Bright-White-LED ... dZViewItem

When the boat is anchored...I just lower the tabs and turn 'em on. These LEDs run on 12v right outta' the box, last forever (corrosion is the question) and hardly use any juice.

Think it'll work?? I don't want my F-36 losing attention to new junkers just because of the lack of underwater stern lights.

Tony
JuiceClark
Moderate User

genius

Post by JuiceClark »

I could put a little strip of zinc on each of them...genius! I have a few little pieces I can stick somewhere on the back of each light. On top of that, I'm going to dip the whole thing (except the lens) in my left-over bottom paint to help seal and cover the copper with that copper paint.

I like those little lights. I've seen those but I was told each led is like a 1 watt light bulb. So, it really takes about 75 of them to make the equivalent of a 75 watt halogen. So, it would take 20 of those lil buggers to do the job...which wouldn't be bad if I didn't mind connecting all the little wires!

Will advise upon further research!

Tony
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Lights almost done

Post by JuiceClark »

Check these out! The LED lights have 72 in each and are comparable to about a 75 watt halogen light. They are for pond lighting...so are waterproof but not made for the ocean. So, I found these offset PVC things and encased them in West System resin. Now they're waterproof.

The offset is so the two holes for 1/2 inch bolts are above the waterline...yet the light is below the waterline when the boat isn't moving.
I've made four of these babies to light up the water around the transom and it all only cost me about $300. Even better, the lights only use about 10watts of battery juice each. Think I'll make a 1000 of them and sell 'em on Ebay!

If I could figure out how to put a picture on here I'd show you!

Tony