11 meter Trojan and cored hull?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Sea Play'n

Re: cored hull or not

Post by Sea Play'n »

fighterpilot wrote:Thanks for the additonal information. The 11 meter sedan is one of the two or three boats I am considering in my search for a boat. If it is cored I will pass. Who is Beacon Marine? What are their credentials regarding a 11 meter sedan being cored or not? Thanks
Hi fighterpilot,
Don't dismiss the cored deltaconic hull. I have wanted a 35 or 37 Bertram for years and when a Bertie was sold out from under my nose, I bought the Trojan 11M Sedan with flybridge. It has the same 350 hp crusaders as the berti, but way more room, more features, better hardware, better finishing and a very dry ride! The wide chine throws the wake out to the side so you are not covered in saltspray all the time. The entry of the bow is sharper than a bertie but the V shallows out at the stern. We like to cruise around the Gulf Islands at trawler speeds to conserve fuel, but when it gets rough and the boat is rolling we push it up onto the plane at 16 knots and the ride smooths out and becomes much more stable. In a 3 to 4ft chop the boat moves up and down, but doesn't pound! It is an impressive rough water boat and I'm sure I would chicken out before the boat let me down.
Another thing, when I had the purchase survey done I told the surveyor the only thing I was worried about was the cored hull. He went over it very carefully and when he banged it with his ball pein hammer, he said it rang like a steel hull.
Another thing I love about this boat is with the big props it handles beautifully in tight quarters.
Hugh
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

So the 12 meter convertables are cored also correct?

Has anyone in 11 or 12 meter convertables had thier windshield leak? Apparently a design thing re open concept?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Sea Play'n

windshield leak

Post by Sea Play'n »

I am starting to get windshield leaks just above the opening awning window on my 11M. Maybe time to rebed the glass in butyl tape.
As far as the 12M convertible hull goes, I don't know first hand, but I can't see the 11M being cored and the 12M not. They are almost identical boats except one has a much larger cockpit.
My feeling is if the core is still dry after 25 years, I'm not going to fret about having it in my boat. It makes for a very rigid structure without extra weight. - sort of like "honey comb" construction on a jet aircraft.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I don't have a problem with cored hulls of the past. Am quite concerned about today's though. I've seen so many screw ups on new stuff that it just makes me laugh. I guess it's all in the name of spitting them out as fast as possible for the least amount of cost. The people making them aren't skilled at thier trade in hopes of reducing overhead.

The trick to getting a good solid older core is a reputable surveyor that will catch poor practices of a previous owner's accessory instalation.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Re: 11 meter Trojan and cored hull?

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Here is the truth on Trojan International.

10 meter not cored
10 meter mid cabin not cored
10.8 meter not cored
11 meter cored
12 meter cored
13 meter cored
14 meter cored
15 meter only one made and it was cored.

There were not any problems with the coring of the Internationals. Even today we never hear of coring problems with the hulls of the Trojan Internationals.

** There was one problem with the 11 meter were water was getting into the transom of the 11 meter and the problem was fixed. I posted more about it here on the forum about a year ago.
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~