waxing non skid surfaces

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

waxing non skid surfaces

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

I have had the toughest time waxing the non skid surfaces of the hard top and the deck over the cabin of my F 26. Removing the wax from the "textured" areas is always a problem-Anyone have any tips or hints on how to effectively wax these "non skid" areas.

Thanks
Mike McGaughey
Albatross III
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

try using a brush with a polish rag under it.
Paul
Active User

non skid

Post by Paul »

Doesn't waxing a non skid surface make it slippey? :shock:

Paul
Cruise Control
dwight

Post by dwight »

Woody Wax works good on the no skid you have to follow the direction or it will leave the deck very slippery
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Paul-waxing it to protect it from oxidation. Not worried too much about having the nonskid surfaces on top of the hardtop and cabin being slippery-I rarely walk on those surfaces-especially on top of the hard top. In fact I can't see any reason to be up there when sober (before anyone gets wound up about boatin' and drinkin'-once the first glass of that beautiful golden liquid-Appleton Estate Rum is poured, the boat has been docked and tied up). I also try to stay off of the top of the cabin all together, and discourage it by my guests-too often people are grabbing on to rails and I spent so much time chasing leaks from the rails on the top of the cabin and deck rails that I don't want to repeat the exercise. I don't understand why people tie lines or fenders to their rails-all its going to do is cause leaks-that's what cleats are for.
Megan Hundley

Post by Megan Hundley »

sorry, i cant help you there. ive never heard of waxing the non skid. and i work with gel coat and non skid and fiberglass for a living. that just seems like it would defeat the purpose of non skid to me.
Paul
Active User

No Skid

Post by Paul »

Mike,

When the wax job is done, does the surface become slippery or does the anti skid texture still do it's job? The reason I ask is that I bet it's alot easier to keep it clean. I power wash mine once a week but with wax I'm thinking a hand wash would do it. The thing is that the area over the cabin does get walked on frequently so it can't be slippery. Check it out and let me know.

Thanks,
Paul
"Cruise Control"

P.S. If you'd like to see what my F-26 looks like, it's featured in the "Reader's Boats" section of DIY Marine Maintenance Magazine.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Paul-When I have waxed the non skid it has not made the surface slippery-the profile of the non skid surface is deep enough to keep it from getting slippery. And yes it is easier to keep clean. It just takes a lot of elbow grease to get the wax out of the nonskid surface.