Normal Bilge Level

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Molly Too

Normal Bilge Level

Post by Molly Too »

I replaced my forward (under the v-berth) diaphragm bilge pump and switch this weekend. The switch instructions said to place it at the "normal" bilge level. Well, I'm not so sure that I know what that is supposed to be (I can't rely on what was there). There's a flat shelf spanning the "V" in the bilge. Should the water level be at that height, lower, higher? I know too low increases cycles and too high leads to rotting on the bulkheads. Summertime A/C condensate collects here too. Any thoughts?
Mel Spruill
Molly Too
'87 F32
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

not trying to be smart but i had a small shelf on my f32 sounds about in the same spot. the switch is there and the pump is a bit lower. i do have pumps in the aft by the transom also. do you? addressing the bilge water i made drip pans under my prop shafts and i routed the ac condensate from the drip pans to a thru hull one forward and one below the salon ac . my normal water lever is 0 in my bilge. i like to have a completely dry bilge. i will accumulate some at times but i dont want to have any issues with water finding its way into stringers etc. by just letting it sit all the time. but thats me.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I have 2 Bilge pumps under the hatch in my V-Berth raised floor. They leave about 1/2" or so ... I don't think I can get them any lower.

My shaft seals are below water level, so I don't see how I could have a pan collect the water and flow it (gravity?) overboard. Do you have pumps in your collection pan(s)?

I would love to keep my bilge dry(er) (helps keep odor down).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

alarm

Post by Buckknekkid »

I installed a high water alarm midships in front of the water tanks,, a HUGE siren alerts everyone if anything happens. :P :P :P :lol:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mel , The lower the better . as the less water the better . however some times you can get the pump but so low so you may have to put it on the shelf.

Ready how do you keep 0 water in the bilge ? what about rain ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:Ready how do you keep 0 water in the bilge ? what about rain ?
How do you get rain in the bilge? On my boat the aft deck hatch surrounds are piped out via the scupper hoses (I did that). My aft air vents have a baffle to keep rain out....
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

My hatchs drain in to the bilge as they did when new , no big deal .( at least to me)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

hi rossjo. yes they are below water level. the pans i built are big enough that they will handle the water . the drip rate is basically 0 when the boat is sitting still. the water will usually evaporate enough that it wont overflow especially in the summer but i have a small tubing and pump setup that allows me to suck up the water without a big hassle. my setup works for me i cant go for extended runs everyday like you guys at the coast. might not work as well i dont know. i got this drip pan idea from someone on this forum i think (or maybe another forum i was reading) shortly after getting my boat dont remember who but it made since to me to try and keep things dry. especially after reading about rotten stringers etc.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Sounds like a great idea. I get enough water sometimes (especially on an all day run) that I don;t think the pans would work for me though ...

I see you're north of Chattanooga. What lake are you on?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

rossjo i'm on the tennessee river ,chickamauga lake. live in soddy daisy. i am about 20 river miles north of chattanooga. tuck my fellow trojan buddy is also on this lake but he is about 13 miles south of me. closer to chattanooga. we can get to the gulf by tn river and the tombigbee waterway easily enough, i just have to get the time from work to do this, someday!!
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe