Crusader 454 raw water pump rebuild question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

savanahrae

Crusader 454 raw water pump rebuild question

Post by savanahrae »

I broke a belt on my raw water pump last trip out but I don't know if the belt was bad or if the pump caused the belt failure. Without a belt on the pump should I be able to turn the pump pulley by hand? And if so should it be easy or hard to turn? I don't really want to rebuild it for no reason.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

You should have no problem turning it by hand. Be sure to check for another source of water/fluid leak which may have caused the belt failure.
Inspect the belt for cracks and glazing. Also eyeball the pullies to be sure they line up correctly and that the belt was not offset.

Turn it in the direction of engine rotation. Belts become loose over time, heat up and break...replace it and see what happens.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
duchess
Sporadic User

water pump

Post by duchess »

depending on its age rebuilding that pump might not be such a bad idea at least then you would know exactly what you have and when it was rebuilt also i use only gator belts and have never had one go bad
DUCHESS 1987 F36
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

How easy or hard a flexible impeller pump turns by hand is no indication of whether it needs rebuliding or not. You need to look at the condition of the impeller and the wear plate inside. If it's been two years or more since the last impeller change...it needs taking apart and checking.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

If it turns easy, it may be completely shot. Like Danny said, rebuild it while your replacing the belt and eliminate a worry for the season.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
savanahrae

Post by savanahrae »

I couldn't turn the pump at all when I took it off so I opened it up and the bearings and race were in shreds. The internal snap ring behind the hub is rusted in place so it looks like a new pump to me....
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

check with Depco Pump Co. Last one I bought they had the best deal
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina