"New" Trojan Owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

The 42 Sea Voyager is planked with 7/8" Phillipine Mahogany. On my 36 I'm using Honduras Mahogany. It's a better wood & easier to get. Look at M.L. Condon in White Plains, N.Y. http://www.condonlumber.com. Frames are white oak.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

MTP: Good advice, I'll check with my insurance co.

Zippy: Thanx for the info, I'll probably touch base with you again when I get ready to start on it. Ignition spares and fuel filters are are already on my list.

Rod: a) Mine doesn't have a swim platform, b) if it did, I'm not sure I'd trust it with that much weight and c) I'm not sure how you'd lash the drums to the platform as their tops would be well below the aft deck. Anyway, it's a moot point because I realized that I have a cousin who lives in SE Missouri and would be happy to deliver a 100 or so gallons to me at a point about half way to Memphis.

Prowler: Actually, I started this "extra fuel" discussion, so we're still on-topic, but thanx for being diligent. Anyway, the previous owner says that on the Ohio & Miss there's enough current that I could run on one engine at a time at @ 1500 rpm, make about 10-12kph and still get @ 13-14 mpg.
I'm gonna do the mid-way refuel thing anyway, just to be safe.

I've been monitoring the river reports for the Ohio & Miss and they're both at or near flood stage right now. I hope that changes before we get there, 'cause while I would mind the help from faster currents, there will be lots of floating debris and the high water could make tieing up for the night pretty dicey.
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

Hey Zippy: Did your boat come with the built-in heater and A/C units? If so, how reliable/effective are they? I'm mostly concerned with the heaters right now because we'll have to anchor or tie up to the bank for 3 or 4 nights on the northern part of the trip and over-nigh temps in that area average in the low 40s. I don't really want to run the gen overnight because a) I hesitate to trust it, b) they're noisy and c) it uses fuel. I also know that running the heaters on dc all night would probably drain the batteries.

I'm seriously considering buying an indoor propane heater. Anybody have any thoughts on or experience with these units? I'm aware that propane heaters can produce HSO2 but monitors for that gas cost more than the damned heater? I'm wondering if I could run one of the engine compartment vent fans overnight without depleting the batteries?
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

We boat on the upper Miississippi where fuel docks for recreation are never more than about 50mi apart. However, in the early spring and late fall, over 1/2 seem to be closed. Most "farm co-op's" will deliver fuel in this case. I do some research on the phone #s and locations of them along your route, just in case. Most of them along the river know good places to meet up as well.

As for the barge traffic, if you are courteous boater, they will have no problems with you. Have a marine radio (portable if there is not one mounted) and a good set of binoculars along. Tug's are clearly named, often with the Capt's name on the oustide of the wheel house. They monitor channel 16 and communicate with the locks on 14. If you are navigating around a barge in a tight spot on the river, just hail the tug and let the capt'n know of your intention to pass port or starboard. I have an idea that most will reply with good remarks about your classic boat as you pass. In the past 30 years on the upper Mississippi I've only ran into a couple with bad attitudes and they were caused by dumb boaters that didn't respect their space.

One other thing about the barges, stay at least 20 yds away from the tug as you pass. They have an incredible under-tow along the sides that will suck you towards them if you get any closer. Also, don't ever be straight down stream where if you lost power, you;d be in their path. People often forget it takes them up to 1/2 mile to stop when fully loaded.

Have fun. Keep us posted...
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

GruntzenGrones wrote:
I'm seriously considering buying an indoor propane heater. Anybody have any thoughts on or experience with these units? I'm aware that propane heaters can produce HSO2 but monitors for that gas cost more than the damned heater? I'm wondering if I could run one of the engine compartment vent fans overnight without depleting the batteries?
BAD IDEA
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

What's the bad idea -- propane heater or running the bilge blower?
Current Fleet:
* "Rivendell" - 1967 Sea Voyager 42' woody
* "Up The Creek" - 6' wood dinghy - leaky hull - no paddles
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

That's actually the type of heater I was considering. I think I may not have been clear enough in my original post. I should have said that I was thinking of getting a propane heater(s) that was designed for small indoor spaces (venting not required). The reason for asking about the blowers was because I had read in a couple of places that propane heaters can malfunction and produce deadly hydrogen-sulfide gas -- easily detectable by its "rotten egg" smell but you might not smell it if you were sleeping.
Current Fleet:
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Would this heater be safe? Do you have one Rod? How well do they work?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Nice boat. It's in overall great shape for it's age. The interior of yours is strikingly VERy similar to mine. I have the same appliances but mine have been taped and re-painted black for a more updated look. You should re-paint yours as well. Doesn't matter the color but just to get rid of the 60's brown and make a old appliance look new.
The rest of the boat looks like it's a GREAT start and won't need too much other than a little sanding and refinishing on some good wood.
Congrats on a great purchase.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

13-14 mpg ?? you mean 13-14 gal per hour ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

the bad thing about hso2 when the ppm gets above the smell it'll drop you like a rock. And any gas heater in a gas boat, safe ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

That heater still requires some ventilation but with the D cell batteries in the back for the fan they keep things warm. However they do have open flame (catalitic) so be aware of any excess gas fumes that may come from the bilge into the cabin or anywhere else.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

Prowler: Don't I wish it was 13-14mpg -- I meant to type "mph." LOL

jwrape: Thanx, not a bad idea about the appliances although I do kinda like the "retro" look of the brown. BTW that's a mighty pretty ride you've got, yourself.
Current Fleet:
lanmanager

Re: "New" Trojan Owner

Post by lanmanager »

GruntzenGrones wrote:Hi All:

I just bought a 1967 42' Sea Voyager with Ford 427s. She's structurally and mechanically sound (per the survey) but needs a good bit of exterior cosmetic work. I didn't particuarly want a project boat, but the price was right and I wanted a live-aboard boat. Anybody know of anything in particular I should be prepared for? I'm a newbie, so all advice is appreciated.

Here's a pic with the top removed for repairs.

[/img]
I am about to transport a sister boat. Any idea how the cockpit top comes off? -Mark-