"New" Trojan Owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

Mark:

The cockpit roof on my boat was removed by a 70mph flat-line wind and the folks at the marina repaired/replaced the roof in my absense, so I don't know how it comes apart.

However, everybody I talked to emphatically advised me not to trailer an old wood boat. Where are you moving yours from & to?
Current Fleet:
* "Rivendell" - 1967 Sea Voyager 42' woody
* "Up The Creek" - 6' wood dinghy - leaky hull - no paddles
lanmanager

Post by lanmanager »

From the lake to my house about 30 might away. There is no issue with transporting large wood boats so long as the transporter uses a bunked v-notch trailer "cradle" with adequate keel support. These boats left Lancaster and shipped all over the world including the US by road. Unfortunately for me we could not get the chines to sit right on the bunks while trying to wet load on a ramp. So it goes back into the sling again to be lowered directly on the semi. Either way they would prefer to get the cockpit off and get the height down. Otherwise, new permits and route surveys etc. The sling is my worst nightmare. I have doubled most of the deck members with new white oak, but there really is no way to reinforce the salon top. So we try to get the slings on the bulkheads.
1967 42' Sea Voyager woody
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

Mark:

Sorry, but I cant really be of any help to you. I know that the door posts and window frames will have to be removed after the top comes off, but I'm not sure how that is accomplished.

Are you going to have her out of the water for a while?
Current Fleet:
* "Rivendell" - 1967 Sea Voyager 42' woody
* "Up The Creek" - 6' wood dinghy - leaky hull - no paddles