F25 Loss of Control

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jayn8yy

F25 Loss of Control

Post by jayn8yy »

I am a new owner of a 1978 F25. I am hoping someone can help me out on this issue. For the first time I took the boat out of the inlet to the Atlantic. However, I noticed the boat becomes very difficult to control in the inlet and especially it seems when the current is coming from the stern. The bow starts going left to right uncontrollably as the stern swings around. The boat almost makes a 90 degree turn back and forth. It is not that fun. In fact I thought the boat was going to turn over. If someone has some advice on this or has the same problem please let me know.
Also, what speed should the boat cruise at? I am having a problem getting over 11 knots. (might be the bottom - having it cleaned next week) Thanks.
mississsippimolly

loss of control

Post by mississsippimolly »

I own a 1974 F25 (different hull than yours). I know what you are talking about. A couple of years ago on an escape from my usual Mississippi River cruise, I circled Lake Michigan. On my last leg from St. Joe MC to Chicago. I got to run in following 6 foot swells. It wasn't much fun. Judicious use of throttle helped. Best bet I found was to stay ahead of the swells as much as practical. Before I go and blame the boat though I would suggest checking a few things out. First, is there excessive in-play in the steering system? This can be wear in the steering head or cable. At the rudder end, there is a strut mounted to a stringer, that has a ball and socket joint that holds the cable sheath in place. Is everything tight here? Is the tiller arm attached to the rudder stock tight? Is the rudder bent? Is the rudder the stock design? This is very important, mine came with an excessively tall rudder with what looks like a small cavitation plate on top. This rudder has more surface than any other 1" stock rudders I have seen. It is a special design and had the Trojan name cast into it. Perhaps yours has been replaced by your basic tornament ski boat rudder. I suspect that a 10 1/2 ft beam x 25 foot long boat is ideal in a following sea. More rudder helps a great deal. One other thought, do you have trim tabs? Where were they?
Craig Wiegel
1974 F25
Mississippi Molly
rossjo
Ultimate User

Following seas

Post by rossjo »

Following seas can be tough in any boat..

The currents in your inlet, along with the rolls can setup an even more difficult condition.

What crurrent ondition did you have? I presume you were coming into the inlet, based on the followign seas. Was the tide running in or out?

I've been in 2 situations here in Charelston Harbor's inelt that were difficult - 1 in a 36 Hatters Convertible with corss currents, wind and a following ea. The other was in a severe tail win, cross current and a following sea in my Trojan F32.

Running ahead of the seas is generally better than wallowing, and tabs can help (or hurt) depending ont he cross urrents. I've seen inexperienced operators use too much tab and make the boat unmanageable.

I have a 26' I/O boat (Chaparral) whihc handles following seas very well, but have been in large Boston Whalers (supposed to be good) that were awful.

Try to experminet (carefully) with different settings, and maybe a bit more power.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

I dug this up from an older post on this forum:
The F30 doesn't like following seas too well, as most boats don't. The F30 like most Trojans, has a rather scary trait if you don't know about it. It's called "Bow Steer." It's never happened to me before, as the former owner warned me beforehand. It happened to him twice. It occurs when the trim tabs are adjusted down too far, and the bow is pushed down too far at higher speeds. The bow digs in, and as soon as it leans just a little to the left or right, the whole boat will suddenly make a sharp swerving turn, and will turn sharper and faster than you could normally make a turn. If you are not hanging on, you could be thrown from your seat, or even out of the boat. The former owner, a very experienced boater, said it scared the heck out of him. I had a friend many years ago that had a Trojan F26 single screw, and he had the same thing happen to him in his F26. I have been warned not to put the trim tabs down too far at high speeds, and if the steering all of a sudden gets real light, and feels like you have power steering, it's getting ready to happen. In 8 years, I have never had a problem with "bow steer." I am aware of it, and how it can happen.
I added an oversized rudder and a 6" keel extension to my F26 to improve tracking stability. It runs much straighter, but not perfect.

Good Luck,
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
rossjo
Ultimate User

Bow Steer

Post by rossjo »

This "Bow Steer" is exactly what happend on my F32 - the combinationof 3-4' sfollowing seas, strong corss wind and a quarting head-current truned us sharply, thrwoing my wife to the galley floor, and giving us quite a scare.

I belive we had ben running the tabs down in the ICW due to the strong wind/waves, and we entered the harbor at lower speed and had this happen to us.

The bow is deep on my F32, and the tab-down condition must really make it bite ..

Anyway - watch those tabs - great for a head sea, but iffy in a following sea.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
jayn8yy

Post by jayn8yy »

Thanks to everyone for the comments. The idea of the bow steer seems to be what happened. I do have the trims tabs in the back and if I remember correctly they were all the way down. I am going to give it a shot with them neutral when going out of the inlet or with following seas. Hopefully that combined with gaining more power when the bottom is done getting cleaned will help.

Thanks again. I'll let you know - if it works.
antares

Post by antares »

Trojan boats are notorious in following seas. This is because of the wide beam and the relatively flat stern. The key is to have your trim tabs fully up while keeping the boat on a plane cruising at approx 12-14 knots. Always travel slightly faster then the sea. I too experienced the "trojan roll turn". Then I contacted some friends in the US who explained what was happening.
Fishing to me is like sand and the desert, both are nothing without each other
etpence

Post by etpence »

Bow steer is what is happening I have a 31' and fish the gulf of mexico out of galveston tx
and our sea conditions are 3-5 ' most the time until I found the sweet spot with my trim tabs I had this problem to
once you finf the right trim it should help
Like every one has said trojans dont like a following sea
todd
31 trojan Mio Mio