how do I find stock specs and parts?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

clarion

how do I find stock specs and parts?

Post by clarion »

Hey folks,
I wonder if you guys have any way to find out what my "stock" props would have been for a 1983 34' trojan Sport fisher, twin gas v-8's I think they are 350's? My mother bought the boat from a "prop man" and we think he put "fuel efficient" props on to replace the stock ones so he could putt around and save gas.

The problem is that, we have this nice boat with two motors that run pretty good and at 3000 rpm it BARELY gets on step with most of the misc weight items removed. We spoke with the owner before this last one and he swears that the boat did over 24knots easy.

My poor mom has now spent about $600 hauling it out and cleaning the bottom plus, around $1600 on some tranny work to replace clutch packs and such. of course those expendatures did not result in the proper speed yet. In fact, no obvious improvement at all.

Anyhow, I know its a good boat and we don't need it to blister across the water but, 12knots maxed out, is unacceptable.

Any resources for looking up stock specs and parts? I want to know the demension and pitch of the prop that came on that boat from the factory.

Sorry, so long winded.

Correct Props For 1983 34' Trojan Sportfisherman

Post by Scott »

You need to speak with the people at Michigan Wheel. They're good people, and will help you out. I have dealt with them in the past. Call them on the telephone and ask them what prop size you should have on your boat. After they get the information on your boat and engines, they will tell you what prop diameter and pitch you should be running. Your engine rpm's should be close to the maximum at full throttle. Sounds like you have props with too much pitch, or too much diameter. If you decide to purchase props from them, they will have them.
This is the contact information:

Inboard Propeller Division

Michigan Wheel Corporation
1501 Buchanan Avenue SW
Grand Rapids, MI 49507
Phone: (616) 452-6941
Fax: (616) 247-0227

They have a website: http://www.miwheel.com

- Scott -
clarion

Post by clarion »

Thanks for that, I'll call them tommorrow. I have gotten better info on the boat now for calculations. Appreciate the responses!
“Control your destiny, or someone else will.” (Speaker unknown)