Insurance

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Planter

Insurance

Post by Planter »

:D Hi folks! I have one located to buy and just need to find insurance at a good rate. Most companies do not want these wooden hulls. Can anyone tell me where to go. Many thanks, Greg :D
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Greg-you are correct about most insurance cos. not wanting to insure wooden or even older boats. You may want to start with your agent and see if they can recommend someone or a company to you. You may also want to look into BoatUS. My boat was almost lost in the floods two years ago in Western PA (a real long and interesting story). I had to really fight with my insurance company. There were about 100 boats washed out of the Beaver River-most of them lost-fortunately not mine-and BoatUS was very quick to respond for policy holders-settling quickly with those who's boats were lost, and quickly saving those that were salvagable.
sassybrat257

Insurance

Post by sassybrat257 »

I just purchased my 1966 42' foot and the biggest problem was getting the insurance. Many companies wouldn't insure either because it was too old or just the fact that it was wood. A lot of companies also wanted proof of previous ownership of a wood boat for at least 5 years. Since this is my first wood boat, that was a problem. We were finally able to get insurance through Heritage Marine at a somewhat reasonable price. They were sticklers about the survey and fastener inspection. They have a website. http://www.heritagemarineinsurance.com which will give you a lot of information but I found it easier to call them. They have a toll free number and are located in CT. Good luck!
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

Hagerty Insurance is the way to go....wood hulls, and others...No problem. All they require is some photos.
If you belong to the Antique and Classic boat society...hagerty will give you a 10% rate decrease.

http://www.hagerty.com/

http://www.acbs.org/activities.html

etpence

insurance

Post by etpence »

try progressive
they have good rates and will insure wood hull vessels
todd
31 trojan, :) mio mio
Donna

Post by Donna »

Wow, thanks for the info on insurance! Our 1968 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager just went back in the water. Rod did every bit of work himself, including the twin Chrysler 283's which didn't run when he got it.

Here's a peek-

chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

That is an awesome photo! Rod is clearly a very talented guy! Congratulations and enjoy the boat.
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Awesome

Post by JuiceClark »

Even after going through the hell of totally renovating a newer F-36, I still can't imagine what it would be like to restore it's wooden ancestor! Absolutely gorgeous...would love to see more pics.

Tony
Fort Myers, FL[/img]
etpence

Post by etpence »

Wow looks great!
Im putting my 31 Sea raider express in for total refurb of the cabin and decks (all Teak) and seeing your pics.I cant wait to see the results of my vessel
hope it turns out as well as yours
congrads on a great looking trojan
Todd 31 trojan MioMio 8)
Donna

Post by Donna »

Thanks for the nice comments. She's not finished yet - still have some work on the inside to do. We just wanted to get her seaworthy in time for salmon season!

We went upriver about 25 miles and anchored in a cove for the weekend. Pure bliss! We went through about 5.3 gph round trip, which was better than we expected.