need new alternator

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

need new alternator

Post by foofer b »

I believe I need a new alternator. It has been chirping intermittently for months now. Did the trick of putting oil on the alternator shaft between the pulley and alternator and it quieted down for a while. Does this mean I need a new one? Will just any automotive alternator do or do I need a marine one as with my starter?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

Find a local auto electric guy he can rebuild the one you have yes it needs to be a marine grade not automotive
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Ditto what MTP said.

Been there done that.

Best alternative.

Probably needs bearings.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

One F26 owner to another - get a rebuilt one and make sure it's a marine one. You can buy decent ones on a lot of internet sites and I'd also check the folks at Beacon. If you're running a Chrylser 318 it's a 61 amp alternator. A brand new one will run you $250 - $400 depending on the source. I've fried two of them coming up the learning curve about battery switches and why you don't turn them to "off" while underway!!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

If you don't have a rebuild shop locally, I've used this place with very good results: A&B Auto Electric. 12601 Chowen Ave, Burnsville, MN, 55337 (952) 894-5147
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
davidsmith
Sporadic User

Alternator

Post by davidsmith »

Pretty easy to take alternator apart to replace bearings. The bearings can be found at a local bearing supplier (Bearing Distributors). Make sure you take a sharpie and mark the location of each end for ease of reassembly. A small bearing puller is a must. Good luck.
1977-F36
22`Aquasport
1969 18` Donzi 2+3
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

The reason you'll want to make sure that you are using a marine alternator is that they are ignition protected. This means that any sparks created within the alternator are isolated from vapors in the bilge. NO BOOM :shock: I'm guessing that you have a GM 1 wire marine alternator which should have screening over all of the vent holes as part of this ignition protection. These are good units and can be modefied to suit your needs. Mine has modefied by a local shop and now puts out 70 amps and a little extra voltage to overcome the voltage drop across my battery isolator. I've also reduced the diameter of the pulley to increase the alternator RPM, which is hulpfull at low engine RPMs.

Hope this helps
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

FROM BOB

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

EVERY ONE IS RIGHT TRY AND GET IT FIXED. IF YOU WANT A NEW ONE WE HAVE GOOD PRICING ON A NEW ONE'S JUST GIVE US A CALL.
BOB
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~