1972 Trojan Tricabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dmatz

1972 Trojan Tricabin

Post by dmatz »

I have a 1972 36' Tri cabin and am looking for answers to a couple of questions. The boat has twin 270 HP 350's and I believe it weighs about 16000lbs.. It had previously been in the ocean but now is located in Lake Erie. It had 3 blade 20x21 props on it. These would only let it attain 3200
rpm's max. I want to try different props to see if I can get to at least 4200
rpm's. Here is some info I have found out. I spoke to a couple of prop shops.I also did an online analysis on Michigan Propeller's site. The concensus is that it should have 20x15 3 blade props. These have been impossible to find. My question is,can anyone tell me what props most of these tri cabins have as original equipment? I have also been told that the 20x21 would be fine in the ocean and it rides differently in the water in inland lakes??? I have also removed the gen set it was inop. I am considering installing a inverter/charger. I am leaning toward a Xantrex 30-12. Has anyone made this conversion and what have you installed?
The boat has a/c.
Dave Matz
Steve H.

1972 Tri-Cabin Props

Post by Steve H. »

The factory props for that boat is 20X21. I have a 1977 Tri-cabin with 270 hp-350 ci engines. My props are also 20X21. I cruise at 3000 rpm at 18 mph. My guess would be the problem is with your engines. I also boat on the west end of Lake Erie . Hom e port Leamington, Ontario.
Boat in Western Lake Erie. Home port Leamington, Ont.
dmatz

Post by dmatz »

Steve Thanks for your reply. What are the max rpm's you run wide open? I also cruise between 2700 and 3000. My max rpm's are 3200 and a speed of around 24mph.(??by gps) I've had a couple of people tell me that this boat should run at a max of 4200 to 4400. This is why I been investigating prop sizes. I don't know of any engine problems, they seem to run great.
Dave Matz
Steve H.

trojan Tri-cabin

Post by Steve H. »

Dave: Sorry it took so long tp get back to you, but I wanted to get my owner's manual on the boat before I got back to you.
According to the 1977 Trojan Tri-cabin owner's manual, your props should be 20x21. Your rpms should be as follows:
@2500rpm 14.8 mph
@3000 rpm 21.7 mph
wide open throttle is 4000 rpm @27.6mph
I find my rpm's are close to those in the manual, however my performance is slowed by 2-3mph if my binini is up.
Hope this helps you.
Boat in Western Lake Erie. Home port Leamington, Ont.
Michael Bost

Re: 1972 Tri-Cabin Props

Post by Michael Bost »

Steve H. wrote:The factory props for that boat is 20X21. I have a 1977 Tri-cabin with 270 hp-350 ci engines. My props are also 20X21. I cruise at 3000 rpm at 18 mph. My guess would be the problem is with your engines. I also boat on the west end of Lake Erie . Hom e port Leamington, Ontario.
Steve: I am new at this(posting), I need to know how to get my prop off. The rudder is in the way of a puller, the shaft end is about 1/2 gone but will thread the nuts, they came off easily; I basically don't really know how but want to do it myself. The prop has a 1/2" x 3/4" gash in one blade. My Trojan has an original transmission and shaft(1972 30' Express, 2001 Crusader engine. Thanks for any help.