Temp gauge problem

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

savanahrae

Temp gauge problem

Post by savanahrae »

I have a 1985 Trohan 10 Meter with crusader 454's. The engine water temp gauge on the starboard engine stopped working. I verified the gauge iss good by swapping it with the Port engine gauge and the one I thought was faulty works fine on the other engine. So then i replaced the water temp sending unit. Still no luck. I;m not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Good ones preferred :)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

did you swwap the senders? wire?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Make sure you got a sender for a gage ( not a light) ground the wire at the sender and see if it reads
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

If your thermostat is open, the temperature will probably never climb off of cold while idling. Are you looking at the gauge while you're warming up or running the boat?

Otherwise, as Paul says, ground the temp sender unit and see if the gauge moves. Also...be sure you're not confusing the temp sending unit with the alarm sending unit.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
savanahrae

Post by savanahrae »

Thanks for all the advice. I have already tried everything except grounding the wire. I am almost convinced the wire is the problem as I have already eliminated most other options. Thanks.
savanahrae

Post by savanahrae »

OK I've been back to the marina and here's what I found. If I ground the sender wire the gauge pegs hot. Si I assume that means the wire is good. So here's where I am. The gauge works, the wire is good, and the sender is new. So what's left? I'm starting to think maybe the thermostat is just stuck open and the engine doesn't heat up enough to move the gauge. Any other suggestions?
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Get one of those temp guns and check the temp to confirm if the thermostst is frozen open.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The engine is running cool or you have a bad or wrong sender
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

prowlersfish wrote:The engine is running cool or you have a bad or wrong sender

I noticed my boat ( raw water cooled ) did not get over 120 this weekend.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

from what you described in your first explanation, and keeping in mind that your engine is coming up to operating temperature ,seems your wiring is at fault. if you bring the gauge and hook it up directly to the sender at the engine, check it there to confirm its operation, there should be no more than two wires, one from the sender , and one to ground. If there is another, its probably for the illumination and is not needed for test purposes. if all works, its the wires, and replace them both. One wire goes to the sender, and the other goes to a post on the back of the gauge that is usually marked with an S the other of course goes to ground.
This is a typical installation of course you may have variations but not likely. the system is quite simple and you should resolve it easily. Of course if your engine is not warming up , that is a seperate issue and the thermostadt could be an issue.

If you cant resolve it with this info, feel free to call me anytime
201 741 4697 as I do this stuff for a living
1983 10 meter express
johnyeamans

Re: Temp gauge problem

Post by johnyeamans »

savanahrae wrote:I have a 1985 Trohan 10 Meter with crusader 454's. The engine water temp gauge on the starboard engine stopped working. I verified the gauge iss good by swapping it with the Port engine gauge and the one I thought was faulty works fine on the other engine. So then i replaced the water temp sending unit. Still no luck. I;m not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions? Good ones preferred :)
Did you try running and testing current in wire. sometimes a break is the problem.