Leakingcabin windows/windshieldrubberseals

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mike Gavin

Leakingcabin windows/windshieldrubberseals

Post by Mike Gavin »

I have a 1986 f-27 , finally got it launched last week. Sat July22nd, had
heavy rain , checked on boat, & found water stain on head liner,under
port cabin window. I found wood rot under top of cushions. If anyone
else has these problems , please advivse me on the forum ,or by email,
mgavin2@cogeco.ca Thanx Mike Gavin. :D
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Hey Mike

Been there, done that! Same problem with our 1977 F-26. Leaked like a sieve right above the port sliding window in the cabin. Here's the fix. CAREFULLY back out the mounting screws on top of your handrails on top of the cabin (they are located right above the window....getting the picture now???) Don't back them out too much or you'll lose the nut on the end of the machine screw (bolt). Just enought to get some good silicone caulk under the rail. "Spooge" some of the caulk under each mount and allow to cure a bit before you tighten down the screws (an hour is good). This should solve your problem.

Apparently, Trojan did not caulk the fittings when the boat was built, or if they did, they sure economized on it!

Wood rot can be fixed with GITROT or other penetrating expoxy, or you can replace the rotted wood.

Welcome the the world of older boats!

You'll find the F26 to be a great family cruiser.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

leaky window

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Mike-I sent you an e-mail with my "fix" for the problem-let me know if you did not get it.

Mike McGaughey
chumwithabottleofrum