Found the cutting out!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wvernie

Found the cutting out!

Post by wvernie »

For a month I have been trying to find a miss in a 233 MerCruiser on a 76 trojan express. I have drained the fuel tank, changed the fuel filter,rebuilt the carb. rebuilt the fuel pump and I still had a cutting out above 3400 rpm's.About 3 years ago I put a electronic conversion kit in the orginial distributor and the boat ran fine. I was told to check the voltage and I found out that I had 10.7 volts going to the coil. I had kept the orginial points and condensor so I took them to the lake today and installed them and the boat stopped cutting out above 3400 rpm's. Now my question is why the low voltage and where do I start?
Any input would be appreciated!!
rossjo
Ultimate User

bad wire

Post by rossjo »

bad wire is easiest check - seen that befoee. The ignition circuits can cause problems - and your Mercathode (have 1?) could be an issue.

I've seen people run a wire (through a fuse or breaker and a switch) drecttly from the battery (or a power panel), but this doesn;t meet USCG code.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
dryrot

Post by dryrot »

In a points and condensor setup quite often the coil is resisted and requires a lower voltage to operate. When changing to an electronic ignition system it is normal to feed the coil with switched 12 volts as the resistor has been removed. British cars install the resistor in the harness and the wire must therefore be bypassed. Probably not the case for you but itwould bear investigation.
K