just want to say hello, I bought a 13M express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Tropical Buzz

Post by Tropical Buzz »

Hello Doug and congratulations! My wife and I are currently planning our first boat purchase down here in the Caribbean and she fell in love with Blackjack. I called the broker and he told me there was a deal in the works, pending one or two details. We had not planned on buying so soon, but Blackjack seemed just too good to pass up.

Keep the pictures and project updates coming - we would love to hear more about her systems, actual condition and performance with the Detroits.

Buzz
Bring me that horizon
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Welcome aboard.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

How are you getting the boat from FL to NY? ICW? Trailer?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

by truck, I was quoted about 6K to New jersey, then I will drive the boat to Freeport on Long Island.
1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Why not bring it up the ICW? Thats a great trip - would take about a week (maybe less if calm seas and you run on the outside during the day).

Tarpon Springs down to Fort Myers, then 140 miles across the Lake Okeechobee channel to Stuart, or down through the Keys, then north on the ICW/Atlantic ...
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Welcome to you from Norway!! Bring us a lot of pictures!
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Doug,

Based on the "backgrounds" those photos were taken when that boat was kept in Punta Gorda and are at least 2 years old.

I hope she has been well maintained.

I was always puzzled as to why this boat didn't sell, especially at the price offered and especially over such a long period of time.

If she survey's well, I believe you did very well.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

DOUGNASH wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome :lol:

Probably everyone on this forum will think I am crazy, but I did not get a survey done. I have always gotten surveys done on other boats , but I knew I was going to buy the boat anyway.

Just a thought, How will you get the boat insured without have a current survey?
I would want a ryder on the policy for the trip home for sure. I purchased a 10 Meter Express in Thunderbolt Ga and had it hauled to Northwest Pa by a company called Mariner Marine Transport. To make a long story short, the transport company did about $18,000 in damage during the trip. If it were not for the ryder I had put in place I would not have been made whole as his insurance was not what it should have been. I learned a valuable lesson.
Do not be afraid to ask to see the insurance policy of the carrier before hand.
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Probably everyone on this forum will think I am crazy, but I did not get a survey done. I have always gotten surveys done on other boats , but I knew I was going to buy the boat anyway.

....[/quote]

Just a thought, How will you get the boat insured without have a current survey?
I would want a ryder on the policy for the trip home for sure. I purchased a 10 Meter Express in Thunderbolt Ga and had it hauled to Northwest Pa by a company called Mariner Marine Transport. To make a long story short, the transport company did about $18,000 in damage during the trip. If it were not for the ryder I had put in place I would not have been made whole as his insurance was not what it should have been. I learned a valuable lesson.
Do not be afraid to ask to see the insurance policy of the carrier before hand.[/quote]

OK so here is an update.

First off, after reading the above I started to make calls for insurance quotes, and of course they want a survey for a boat of that age and length.

That is probably a good thing, so Florida Surveyors will have the survey done with a couple of days.

I spoke to the broker about why the boat has been for sale so long, he told me the owner sunk a bunch of money into the boat engines/paint/interior upgrades and then the economy went down. He needed to move the boat, originally listed at $129k, no bites with bad economy, dropped it down to 100k, still nothing. The owner couldn't make the payments anymore so he gave it back to the bank. So that is kind of why it has been for sal so long.

He also said he is very familiar with detroits leaking oil, he said these motors are tight, clean bilge underneath each motor on the outsides of bilge.
He did say he saw some oil under generator.

He spoke to the bank today, boat will be free and clear to go by the end of next week!!

I will keep you posted...
1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Dougnash,
By the way you have worded things it seems as though you have not seen the boat yourself and are going off of the word of the broker.... Is this the case? Have you inspected the boat yourself?
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

So bring it home yourself - or find a Captain for hire ;-)
Rnd

Post by Rnd »

Doug, Congrats on "Blackjack". I had one of the offers in on her I put an offer and deposit on her in Feburary and after being run around by Brian Hill (i.e. The Broker) I couldn't trust him and pulled my offer last week before i left for vegas. I was surprised to find this thread when I got home yesterday. If she is HALF of what he says it is it's a great deal. Please keep us posted I really would like to see how this plays out.

P.S. I raised my offer once but never over ask.