1976 F-26 Transom Cutout/Access?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jcatkinson

1976 F-26 Transom Cutout/Access?

Post by jcatkinson »

Hello,

I just purchased my 76 F-26 about two months ago and I love it. The only problem is that I'm having difficulty getting my two large dogs in and out of it. One dog in particular has a bum knee and he doesn't like to use the telescoping dog ramps I purchased. I've been speaking with an experienced gel coat/fiberglass guy about cutting an access hole through one side of the transom so the dogs can go directly in and out of the boat. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on this? Would it affect boat stability? If anyone has transom access on their Trojan I would greatly appreciate any pics you could send.

Thanks,

James

james_20_mil@hotmail.com
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Doggy door

Post by JuiceClark »

I saw an F-32 one time where the guy cut a small door in transom. The thing I thought was smart about it was...he made a hinged, doggy door looking thing but it didn't go all the way to the top of the transom. So, it opened sideways for access to the dive platform, like one of those you see sportfishing boats pulling a marlin in through. However, he left those six or so inches at the top of the transom so it did NOT affect the integrity of the transom.
I think, if you put a full, walk-thru type door on the back, you'll severely weaken the boat from it's original design. I small, dog-hatch type thing (hey, you could even do one of those over the counter hatches for dog access) would be a good idea for my two wire-fox terriorists.

Tony