replacing F36 teak cockpit deck

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Peter
Moderate User

replacing F36 teak cockpit deck

Post by Peter »

I have in 1974 F36 with the original teak cockpit deck. The teak cockpit deck is in pretty good shape, except for one small soft spot that needs to be fixed. The trouble is a patch would be glaringly obvious. Only alternative is to use some git rot, or replace the deck. I have found a local supplier of teak plywood (veneer)with rubber already applied in the channels (which I can afford ). Trouble is that it is only 3/16 inch thick. I would need to lay a base of half-inch marine plywood, and adhere the veneer to this substrate (I think). I have a small, reasonably equipped woodshop in my garage, but certainly don't have anything as fancy as a vacuum press.
My plan is to make a paper copy of the cockpit shape, transferred this to one quarter inch M.D. F., which I can use to fit. Then use this as a pattern to cut the plywood, and hopefully it will just drop into place with only a few minor adjustments. Any comments on this approach would be appreciated, especially how to affix the veneer to the Marine plywood without any special equipment. Thanks
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

we just replaced EVERYTHING, that soft piece of ply is possibly hiding a real can of worms. where are you and do you have any pics?
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

I think I am going to replace the whole thing, but I am not sure how to laminate the teak veneer to the plywood. Any ideas?

Don't have any digital pics, maybe try to get some this weekend. Boat is in very good shape, have made a cherry dinnet table, with folding wings, that stores underneath the inside wheel, and can be taken out into the cockpit for Al Frisco dining. Made two chairs, with two by fours, plywood, wrapped in batting, and upholstered in fabric with a staple gun, with ottoman, that slides under, with storage

Have owned the boat for 3 years, out of Huron Ohio, [about one hour west of Cleveland on the Lake Erie coast... walleye fishing capital of the world... for everyone else but me :( ]