Trojan Yachts -'79 Express 306 - Why so low $$?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dollarbill63

Trojan Yachts -'79 Express 306 - Why so low $$?

Post by Dollarbill63 »

I have been looking for a 28 - 32' cruiser and found a '79 Express 306 Flybridge for around $16K.

The boat seems to be in good condition ALTHOUGH I have not checked it out by a professional yet.

My question is this seems to be lower than most comparable boats in its range.. i.e. Carver Mariner or Voyager. Why?

I know the Express is not "flashy" and some may consider its looks dated. I tend to say the looks are classic. But I also would not consider a '78 to '80 Carver "flashy" either.

So is the low value based (even NADA has this at a low value) based on lack of flash or are Tojans like this mechanical problems.

My opinion of Trojan is that they are very good boats.

Comments please for a potential new owner of a Trojan Express 306.

Thanks in advance.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

That price is what I would consider "reasonable". Right now the market for used boats is really a "buyers" market. You should consider a professional survey if you are serious about buying. As you probably know Trojans are a stout boat-very well built. yes to some they may look "dated" and I too think they are classics.
The interiors definetly have that '70 shag carpet\disco look about them-but the interior is easily redone.
Good Luck
rossjo
Ultimate User

gasser ...

Post by rossjo »

30 year old gas engine boats are cheap - $16k is reasonalble, since engines, tranny's, shafts, bearings, wiring etc. are in need of major overhauls, and the look is somewhat dated, but easily updated (as someone else noted). Good "handyman's special" - like a 60'sranch house.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17