Captains choice 8.1ho's

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ronski

Captains choice 8.1ho's

Post by ronski »

Has anyone repowered a 11 meter express cruiser with a pair of captains choice 8.1 ho,s engines buy crusader. If so what kind of performance gain did you get.
RWS
Ultimate User

8.1's

Post by RWS »

I was about to do so on my 10 meter, however the factory 1.25" shafts were borderline acceptable for the 8.1's.

Once I added in the shafts & props the cost between repowering to gas vs. diesel became smaller.

If I did a gas repower, the vessel would be worth little more 5 years from now than with the old 454's.

Rebuilding the 454's the way I wanted would have cost as much as the new 8.1'2

Based on the DIFFERENCE in cost between repowering gas to diesel and the additional value in the vessel when she is sold the decision to repower with the Yanmar 315's was actually an easy one.

My sweet spot cruise speed went from 16kts to 22kts, my top end is 27.5 kts, range has doubled and and the fuel consumption #'s are almost too good to be true.

For the 11 meter, you might consider the Yanmar 370 or the equivalent cummins product. I am familiar with the 11 meter and believe it to be one of the finest vessels of it's type around.

Regards,

Running With Scissors
ronski

Post by ronski »

Thank's for the insite, I was not thinking about the later resale value of thr boat. You have a good point.

Ron