Differances between F 25 vs F 26 ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Some of the meter boats have them also. And its not a question of using bigger tabbs. It's a question of bigger equals using less to fool the hull length. That's why I suggested asking the pros.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

My 26 has this ventilation plate from the factory as well. I did however get rid of the winged rudder and replaced it with one that has more surface area. This helped reduce the effect of some of the negative handling issues but did not eliminate them.

Torcan, I wouldn't worry too much about how your specific boat may handle (or mishandle) until you start using it and see for yourself. If and when you feel your boat do a "Crazy Ivan", at least now you'll know what's going on and not be surprised. When you run into handling problems, I'm sure there are several people here who can show you how to deal with them. There is a bit of a learning curve involved with handling these boats.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

I have had 2 boats that did that (bow steer) to help that issue I would slow down and raise the bow with tabs. My F-32 will do that if I use too much tab so I have learned to run with the bow up slightly finding the sweet spot. And, yes shorts can get soiled in a hurry and in those cases it's ok to use household toilet paper.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Paul wrote:

Torcan, I wouldn't worry too much about how your specific boat may handle (or mishandle) until you start using it and see for yourself. If and when you feel your boat do a "Crazy Ivan", at least now you'll know what's going on and not be surprised. When you run into handling problems, I'm sure there are several people here who can show you how to deal with them. There is a bit of a learning curve involved with handling these boats.
Thanks Paul
info like this possible problem is what makes this forum great. You are right, I now know what to expect and will endeavor to avoid this problem. Learning curves are what makes different things fun.

I operate one of those streetcars here in Toronto, (no, I am not one who goes to the bank, gets coffee or texts, or talks on the phone while operating, and leaving passengers to wait for me), and there was a huge learning curve. Now I can stop those things on a dime and am very aware of my clearance. They were quite scary in the beginning, but now I am comfortable, (not too comfortable, mind you), a healthy respect for what they can and cannot do.

Respect for the boat, and not getting cocky is probably the best course of action.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Test Post .. for some reason the forum won't let me post my REAL response
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I would "echo" Paul's and King Paul's comments. Start slow, get a feel for it. So you're 'on the right track' (get it ?? Streetcar reference ?? :D :D ) If possible, arrange to go out with someone who has, or has had, the same or similar boat and they can help you understand how best to handle it, and what's normal and what isn't. Watch the weight distribution, speed and trim.

I have had bow steer on my F32 from time to time, but it has been from overtrimming or coming off a quartering wave and digging the bow in to the next one. You can usually manage it by adjusting the power, countering with the wheel, and trimming up (we all have 3 hands, don't we?), but its better to not get there in the first place. Comes down to reading the water, knowing your boat, and using 'The Force' to sense what's going on and what's likely to happen next.

Oh yeah - re the idea of a 'tutor' .. if you were interested and can't find someone local just thought I would mention... I don't have direct experince in that model (I have 20 years on a 28' with single engine, but that ended 10 years ago) and have been out on a frend's F25 a couple of times. I'm not that far away from Bluffers. If you get desperate maybe we can arrange to hook up after launch and see if I can learn ya anything.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

captainmaniac wrote:Test Post .. for some reason the forum won't let me post my REAL response
OKAY... here's a lesson on how to avoid getting slightly po'd when trying to post something ..... don't post anything with the word "echo" in it, without putting quotes or something around that particular word!!!

<for the techies on here... the underlying code that the Forum was developed in is php (hence the phpbb logo)... and that nasty word I mentioned above is a standard php keyword... it looks like if it appears in the text of a post without quotes or some other qualifier or escape characters around it, the parser messes up and you get a "Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /wforum/posting.php on this server." error... Geez... you've got me working on a Sunday... I've got my own code to debug...>
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Strange but true
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

00010011001110 9999 Omg. :D
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

captainmaniac wrote: Oh yeah - re the idea of a 'tutor' .. if you were interested and can't find someone local just thought I would mention... I don't have direct experince in that model (I have 20 years on a 28' with single engine, but that ended 10 years ago) and have been out on a frend's F25 a couple of times. I'm not that far away from Bluffers. If you get desperate maybe we can arrange to hook up after launch and see if I can learn ya anything.
I may just take you up on that, might just mosy on down to Burlington with my boat for an overnight. Not really that far away either.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

jon_e_quest wrote:Bryan,

First, a few technicalities to correct from those earlier posts.

2. I can't find definitive proof that the early F-26 ('71-'72) was called the Model 260. Considering that other Trojan models introduced prior to 1973 have 'oddball' model designations, I doubt it. Maybe an early F-26 owner can chime in.
The model designation of the 1971 F26 was Model 231.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Torcan wrote: I operate one of those streetcars here in Toronto, (no, I am not one who goes to the bank, gets coffee or texts, or talks on the phone while operating, and leaving passengers to wait for me), and there was a huge learning curve. Now I can stop those things on a dime and am very aware of my clearance. They were quite scary in the beginning, but now I am comfortable, (not too comfortable, mind you), a healthy respect for what they can and cannot do.
You need to train the guys on 509/510 route to stop hitting the cars on Queens Quay opposite the beer store.
Trojan content :)
The bow dive is quite exciting and severe on an F32... threw my daughter right across the forward bridge seat to the other side before I could pull the boat out of the dive into the wave :oops:
I no longer have any tab with a following sea :!:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Dog House wrote:
jon_e_quest wrote:Bryan,

First, a few technicalities to correct from those earlier posts.

2. I can't find definitive proof that the early F-26 ('71-'72) was called the Model 260. Considering that other Trojan models introduced prior to 1973 have 'oddball' model designations, I doubt it. Maybe an early F-26 owner can chime in.
The model designation of the 1971 F26 was Model 231.
Dog House is you boat glass with wood top side or all glass ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote: Dog House is you boat glass with wood top side or all glass ?
My boat is an all glass F26. I believe 1971 was the first year for the F26, but I'm not sure. In 1971, Trojan also produced the 25 foot Sea Raider, which had a fiberglass hull and wood deck and structure (I have a 1971 Trojan brochure, which describes all of the boats produced).
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The 1971 Trojan brochure states several times that the F Series are "all fiberglass boats". I always assumed that the stringers were glassed in wood. Does anyone know if that is correct, or if Trojan used a non-wood material for the stringers, etc. Since the brochure is marketing, I'm guessing wood was still used but would like confirmation from anyone who might know.